HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   hunting swamps (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/353729-hunting-swamps.html)

beaglefan 11-16-2011 02:19 PM

hunting swamps

I found a place to hunt that looks pretty good.It is a swampy area off of a river. I am new to waterfowling so my question is will the ducks come in off the river to the swampy areas that are shallow with no moving water or are they more likely to stay on the river where there is plenty of water? I curious what others have seen in these type of situations.

Alsatian 11-17-2011 06:26 AM

Set out some decoys and see if they come in: that will answer your question. Alternatively, get in there sometime during the day and see if they are on the water. I don't know what your swamp is like, but possibly it could have food that the ducks would not find in the free running water of the river. Also, swamp has negative connotations for me. I might refer to a puddle of water grown up with reeds a slough. Swamp associates in my mind with stagnant water and rotten vegetation and bad smells. I'm not sure that is inherent in the word "swamp" or just my peculiar associations with the word.

mnhunter1 11-17-2011 10:44 AM

if there is food they will come. watch where the ducks are going and set up where they want to be

Alpine_Archer 11-17-2011 01:30 PM

find where the ducks are then setup there.... Just setting up in a spot that looks "ducky" won't always work.

Rory/MO 11-21-2011 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by mnhunter1 (Post 3877612)
if there is food they will come. watch where the ducks are going and set up where they want to be

Don't even need food. Some of the best holes in the timber I've hunted have had NOTHING foodwise for the ducks. If there's ducks in the area, not temperatures that are going to freeze it, and a big enough hole for them to work in with the wind, I'd say give it a shot. If it's going to be frozen the river may be the ticket.

wingseek 11-23-2011 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rory/MO (Post 3879666)
Don't even need food. Some of the best holes in the timber I've hunted have had NOTHING foodwise for the ducks. If there's ducks in the area, not temperatures that are going to freeze it, and a big enough hole for them to work in with the wind, I'd say give it a shot. If it's going to be frozen the river may be the ticket.

Good Advice

Sheridan 11-23-2011 07:27 PM

You have to fish where the fish are.....................

Set-up where the ducks "want" to be !

SecondChance 11-25-2011 06:39 AM

Some of our best honey holes are off the river in oxbows and bends and cuts. Nothing in ways of food, just out of the fast current of the river and barges where they can loaf, sleep and rest.
Just sit back and watch it for awhile and let the ducks tell you if they want in there or not.