HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   New to waterfowl (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/352356-new-waterfowl.html)

JCO_Tyler 10-28-2011 07:23 PM

New to waterfowl

Any advice would be wonderful. The more info i can get the better.

Thanks.

JoeA 10-31-2011 02:35 PM

That's a wide open request. Any advice includes topics like shells & shot sizes, or camo vs metallic coloroed thermoses.

I'll start with these two piecesL:

1. practice mounting your shotgun while wearing the clothes you plan on hunting in.

2. Be familiar with your regulations! One less duck than the legal limit = you can hunt another day. One over the limit might can end your hunting for the year, and maybe longer.

skiftcky 10-31-2011 08:53 PM

JoeA is right, there is so much out there that is must know info on waterfowl... sate and federal regulations for your area and even down to how to cook your duck.

I'll take 2 more

1. Either hunt with an experienced caller or learn to call... never over call birds or the will become call shy and not want to come in. Sometimes calling isn't even neccessary
2.Scout, scout, scout.... get out there and find out where the birds are at and how they are working in certain areas. Talk to other hunters about what they have seen and where they may be hunting. Nothing worse than two groups of hunters cramming into 1 hole or you walking into an area some one is already hunting.

cjwink 11-01-2011 01:32 PM

Go buy you a set of decoys (a dozen is plenty for starters).. Get you a Call/CD Combo and listen to it/practice in the truck. Scout, scout, scout and find where the ducks want to be. Ducks always land into the wind, so set your decoys where you DON'T want the ducks to land, keeping in mind that ducks coming in typically don't like to fly over duck on the water in order to land. Find you some good cover and put that call deep in your pocket so that your not tempted to use it to much.. The only time I call is when the duck is bugging out or trying to land way out (60 to 70 yards). I don't want any ducks on the water way past my decoys. Because you will soon find out which decoy's look and sound more real.

JCO_Tyler 11-01-2011 08:32 PM

Thanks y'all even that lil bit helped. Every little bit helps.

mnhunter1 11-09-2011 10:39 AM

pay attention to where the ducks are going and feeding the best decoys and calling dont mean squat if the ducks dont want to be there

Doc E 11-09-2011 05:43 PM

Conserve game --- Hunt with a well trained retriever !

JCarver81 11-12-2011 04:06 PM

Don't call to birds coming into the decoys. Get a Mojo decoy (if legal were you hunt). Practice shooting. Scout for the ducks and get to know there routines. And most importantly know the laws be safe and have fun!