Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Successful ND trip

Old 10-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Spike

Default Successful ND trip

I just got home Monday evening from a successful four day (three full days and two half days) duck hunt in North Dakota. Awesome trip!! This was my second year out to ND duck hunting and it is truly amazing. So many birds! We shot Pintails, Mallards, Gads, Blue and Green Winged Teal, Wigeons, Divers, Shovelers, and got a crack at a flock of Snow Geese. Three guys+four days= 72 ducks. That's limits everyday! Plenty of meat in the fridge now

Here are a few pics. The yellow lab, Picker, is three years old. The black lab, Izzee, is seven years old.

Last edited by fordtough150; 10-26-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice...Alot of water out there this year between Valley City and Bismarck up North to Devils lake...Just a big flight path now for waterfowl.Mn used to be like that back in the 70's but now it seems ND has that honor....Seems I now live in a land of 10,000 lakes with 8 divers,3 Canadians,2 Mallards and a hand full of muds....J/k not that bad but sometimes it feels like it.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:48 AM
Spike

It's crazy how easily I could go through a box of shells in a morning or afternoon hunt. Back home I'm lucky to go through a box a season! lol It doesn't help when there are tons of guys around here sky-blasting either. Let 'em come in to the decoys!!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on a successful hunt! Just got back from ND myself on Thursday the 27th. First time I've hunted ND since I was stationed there in the mid 90s. We hunted around Hankinson, Lidgerwood and Milnor in Richland and Sargent counties. Four of us went out and none of us had really hunted the area before, so wasted a little time. It took us Monday afternoon to realize that alot of the publicland in that area wasn't worth looking at. Lots of birds in the area though. Four of us shot 40 ducks and a goose in 2 full and 2 1/2 day hunts. I'm from Southwestern Minnesota and if it wouldn't be for decent goose hunting here I probably wouldn't hunt waterfowl in Minnesota anymore.

Hopefully we will get drawn for South Dakota next year and hunt 3 days there and maybe head out to ND for 4-5days again.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Spike

I totally hear ya man! It is so depressing having to come back to WI and hunt waterfowl after being horded with ducks all day in North Dakota. We have thought about applying for South Dakota waterfowl licenses, but we're plenty happy with over-the-counter North Dakota licenses and still having success! It's about a 10-11 hour drive from the central part of Wisconsin, so it's a little bit of a haul! Totally worth it though!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Three guys+four days= 72 ducks" Hope you were eating ducks every day. 3 guys X 12 total possession limit = 36 duck max, unless you're eating ducks to keep the possession limit to no more than 12 each. It does matter how many days you hunt. Possession limit is still 12 ducks each.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:37 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by MinnFinn
"Three guys+four days= 72 ducks" Hope you were eating ducks every day. 3 guys X 12 total possession limit = 36 duck max, unless you're eating ducks to keep the possession limit to no more than 12 each. It does matter how many days you hunt. Possession limit is still 12 ducks each.
Gotta wise guy here.

I'm aware of the rules, which is why we gave a lot away to friends and farmers in the areas we hunted.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:27 AM
NEK
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ranger56528
Very nice...Alot of water out there this year between Valley City and Bismarck up North to Devils lake...Just a big flight path now for waterfowl.Mn used to be like that back in the 70's but now it seems ND has that honor....Seems I now live in a land of 10,000 lakes with 8 divers,3 Canadians,2 Mallards and a hand full of muds....J/k not that bad but sometimes it feels like it.
Must have had a lot of rain all over the prairies - even in Canada. My Brother went to an area on the Alberta prairie where the two of us used to hunt back in the 80's and it was like being in duck hunters heaven. But He Said - " this year, with all the rain they got there are little ponds everywhere and the birds were scattered all over creation and the shooting was lousy at our old spot." We hunted during drought years and the birds were concentrated in the small lakes we found.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

sinulle nolata
Old 12-16-2011, 10:17 PM
NEK
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MinnFinn
sinulle nolata
puhua englanti.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.