Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

patterning new gun

Old 10-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Spike

Default patterning new gun

i just bought the remington 870 supermag. I'm planning on buying a full choke, but am not sure what will work best. I will be shooting 3 1/2 in shells so muzzle jump is a big concern as well as the pattern. I'm thinking about carlsons or kicks. Are the remington wingmaster chokes any good?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:54 PM
JW
Super Moderator

If you are using steel shot Full choke is a NO-NO. The constriction is too tight and you can ruin your barrel. Read your owners manual as it will guide you to what choke to use for the different shot types.

Modified is the Safe way to go with steel and actually I am using Improved Cylinder (IC) in mine as it patterns best.

I purchased Briley extended chokes as they are easy to see what choke is in the gun and are knurled for easily removal.

JW

Last edited by JW; 10-20-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Fork Horn

Your title mentions patterning, but your main subject does not. are you just planning on buying one choke, chosing a shell brand and one shot size and just living with what it gives you?
I buy Carlsons choke tubes, with my 870 super mag Mod or Improved cylinder with BB or #2 gives my great patterns with Federal and Winchester.
I do not use a 30" circle, I use a 11.5"X8.5" piece of printer paper.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Spike

Iam planning on patterning several different loads with the modified it came with then figuring out the best choke to buy and pattern it after i buy it. I'll probably be patterning at 25,40, and 50 yards. I want something that will give me the range to reach a goose at 50 yards.

I always thought waterfowlers used full chokes for more range, but i have been hearing what was said in the replies. Apparently some choke tube manufacturers call their modified choke longe range steel shot chokes. What constriction should i be looking for.

Also i talked to someone who said that ported chokes would reduce recoil but also reduce the power of the shot. Is this true?
Old 10-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by beaglefan
I always thought waterfowlers used full chokes for more range... What constriction should i be looking for.

Also i talked to someone who said that ported chokes would reduce recoil but also reduce the power of the shot. Is this true?
"Full" will not necessarily mean a better/tighter pattern. It is not uncommon for larger steel shot to pattern better with less constriction. It's not uncommon for a full choke to work well either. I like carlsons chokes. They're affordable and I get more consistent patterns with them vs factory tubes. If I could only get one, it'd be the mid range. If I remember right, they're improved modified in constriction.

Your worry with a ported choke will be the noise.

For steel on geese, especially with longer shots, I prefer a 1.5oz load of BBBs at ~1500fps in the 3.5" 12ga.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Got to shoot'em out of your gun to truely know.

All the company's name you mentioned are reputable.

Hint: you don't have to break the bank !
Old 10-25-2011, 06:08 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Most of all the choke tubes I have seen will have it stamped Do not use Steel or For lead only or something like that. It should also state that in the User manuals.

Many do make an after market choke tubes. Carlson or Briley or hevi shot if you use that all make great choke tubes. Extended choke tubes are far easier to change.

Steel shot will not compact like lead will so full chokes are not used with steel.

Like I said I used Modified with stele but when I went to Improved Cylinder - it was just more effective for me. That choke in conjunction with 3 inch Black Cloud #3s I have been deadly out to 50 yds. I must say I am impressed with BC. I used to shoot what steel loads I could find on sale.

JW
Old 10-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW!
Steel shot will not compact like lead will so full chokes are not used with steel.
This was probably true back in the day. However, full chokes ARE used with steel shot today. Wads for steel shot are very thick, and chokes that are approved for steel, even full, are safe to use with steel.

But I agree that less can be better with steel
Old 10-26-2011, 01:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by beaglefan
Iam planning on patterning several different loads with the modified it came with then figuring out the best choke to buy and pattern it after i buy it. I'll probably be patterning at 25,40, and 50 yards. I want something that will give me the range to reach a goose at 50 yards.

I always thought waterfowlers used full chokes for more range, but i have been hearing what was said in the replies. Apparently some choke tube manufacturers call their modified choke longe range steel shot chokes. What constriction should i be looking for.

I don't use a full choke. but Modified and Improved. with my patterning the improved with BB was a better pattern than #2 and the opposite with the Modified, but overall pattern denisity was tight. I good start for you.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Spike

I've decided i want a patternmaster long range tube, but my question is what is the difference between their basic longe range and their code black long range?