Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Waterfowl Newbie

Old 11-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the advice guys,,,
Old 11-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Spike

Thanks Alpine, I really appreciate the help....by the way, I wont have that 870 until Monday but I was wondering what choke if any come with that model....or what choke would you recommend? and have you hunted the everglades?

Old 11-29-2011, 02:28 AM
Fork Horn

Use a modified choke and make sure you pattern your gun with differnt loads at the distance your going to be shooting. Find out what shoots best out of your gun. I like winchester xperts #3's. Cheap and they get the job done.

Although i've lived in FL on and off for many years I have never made it down to the glades. Good luck this season. second split is on Dec 10th.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

".....recommended a modified choke and #4 steel shots."

The only thing he left out was, shoot them in the head !!!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

For close up over decoys you might be ok with #4 steel. However, I'd suggest #2 or #1, especially if these are fully plumed norther ducks. With norther mallards that migrate down from Canada through ND and western MN late season, I'll usually switch to BB's for big ducks and geese. They give more killing power out to 35-40 yards and penetration / ability to break wings on geese.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:51 AM
Spike

The most important thing is to pattern your gun at the estimated distance you will be shooting. Find a load that works for you.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:07 AM
Spike

The "if it shoots modified with lead, it'll shoot full with steel" rule comes from the days of fixed choked shotguns, prior to the "screw in" chokes......I'm not so sure it's still valid.
The only way to be sure is to pattern your gun.....that will give you an idea as to how tight it's shooting at various ranges.
As for the gun, I shoot the same 870, and the factory modified tube works just fine with steel shot. I prefer larger shot (I've settled on #3, but #2 works well also). My full choke tube is rated "Full" for both lead AND steel.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Take a look at the HeviShot waterfowl tubes in both
the mid and extended range options. Like previously
mentioned, use the mid tube in the early season then
switch to the extended version as the season progresses.
Good Luck

Do the alligators cause a problem while hunting in the Glades?
If so, any stories to tell?