HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   New to Hunting/Cooking Wild Birds (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/348211-new-hunting-cooking-wild-birds.html)

WheatxToast 08-15-2011 09:06 AM

New to Hunting/Cooking Wild Birds

Hi
My boyfriend and I are new to hunting. He's going on his first (of many) Duck/fowl hunt soon with some very experienced hunters. Neither of us grew up hunting so we don't know much. Are there any great websites or books out there for us?

I won't be joining him, however, I am going to be cooking anything he catches. (Yes, its a bit ambitious and hopeful that he'll get anything...)

Couple of questions for you more experienced hunters:

-What's the best way for him to get anything he's shot to me? I live in NYC he's hunting down in Missouri. Mail? Take it on the plane with him?
-How do I clean fowl? Are there any parts that aren't edible? (I'm not squemish at all. Pics or a video appreciated)
-Recipes! Not to toot our own horns but we are both pretty accomplished cooks. But neither of us have ever prepared wild game. I'd love some recipes or cookbooks. Any tips or tricks? I'm concerned the meat will be tough...

Thanks all! I really appreciate any pearls of wisdom or books/websites you can direct me too

JW 08-15-2011 12:11 PM

Actually I use this method on all game birds no matter what the size. Only thing to be careful of are state regualtions transporting wild game as most require a wing or leg be left attached.

here is the link on how to fillet birds. Although this is a wild turkey, I do the same with any duck, goose or other game bird.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/spec...s-updated.html

As far as cooking - worst thing you can do with any bird is over cook it! Overcooked game birds or fowl is dry and not tasty at all!

Experiment like I do and add game birds to any ole recipe in place of the traditional chicken chunk or beef chunk.

jw

skiftcky 08-20-2011 02:57 AM

I agree with JW.... I may only feather out a turkey once every other year for thanks giving and that depends on the size of the bird.

one thing I do with my water fowl that turns out so good Im actually in near drool just writting about it.

Take and cut your duck/goose breast into 2 inch by 3 inch peices and marinade them in worchestershire sauce along with salt, pepper, onions, and any other spice you may like. just do it to your taste. After no less than 4 hours in the marinade take and put a peice of pickled jalapeno on each slice then wrap with bacon. bake on 350 for about 20 mins then pull them out. Add some cream cheese over the top of each slice then cook for about another 15 minutes. Time depends on how many you have in the oven.

this is just one of many ways to cook duck and I hope you get a chance to enjoy as much of it as possible. My wife loves those Jalapeno Duck Poppers so much that she actually pushes me out the door some days to go duck hunting and I DO NOT Complain...LoL:barmy:

JW is also right about over cooked duck... people who say that duck taste like liver are usually the ones who had over cooked duck.

2eagles 08-21-2011 03:43 PM

3 rules

Three rules in cooking waterfowl. I know this goes against some things you have been taught. To verify what I'm saying. check out the recipes on the Ducks Unlimited website.

Rule #1 don't overcook medium rare is almost burnt

Rule #2 don't overcook medium rare is almost burnt

Rule #3 don't overcook medium rare is almost burnt

sharpshooter19 09-01-2011 12:33 AM

i love this recipe for ducks/geese. fillet the breast out (i dont keep legs to tough and stringy) and wash/clean and wrap in bacon. you might have to use tooth picks to hold the bacon on but wrap in bacon arond the meat. and the oil from the bacon will tenderize the meat. have fun and good luck!

yeoman 09-01-2011 03:46 AM

cooking

Biggest mistake with waterfowl is overcooking, as stated by others. This is red meat with very low fat content. The fat resides in the skin. You need to prepare it the way you like your steak, and if you like your steak well done, don't shoot waterfowl. You won't like it. If you like your steak med rare to rare, you will be astonished at how good this meat can be.

alvinsmith 09-22-2011 09:07 PM

I agree with yeoman, Do NOT Overcook

I’ll cut right to the chase on this one.

Unless you like liver, do NOT cook waterfowl to well-done. A duck or goose cooked to the point where there’s no red/pink in the middle will taste EXACTLY like liver – and I mean EXACTLY... like... liver. I found this out the hard way when I was making myself a goose steak and wandered away from the grill for too long.

home energy monitor

JoeA 09-27-2011 03:24 PM

Check the Ducks Unlimited website for recipes.

One simple thing that can be incorporated with most recipes for waterfowl....brining. It will improve the flavor of the meat. There's several recipes out there, so I'll just recommend the technique.

Also, make sure your friend checks the regs on transporting game.

WheatxToast 10-04-2011 10:38 AM

Thanks everyone for the great recipes! I love duck so Im really excited. And I totally agree with the medium rare to rare votes.

I had no idea about the regulations surrounding transporting game...ugh.
Is freezing and over nighting the best solution? I got a feeling they dont like dead animals on commercial flights....

BTW, he seems to think he's going wild boar shooting next...ambitious haha