Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Duck Calling Advice

Old 07-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Spike

Default Duck Calling Advice

Hey guys Im new to Duck Hunting and I'm thinking about getting some duck calls so I want to know whats the best for my money and what types of calls should I get I'm hunting in Kansas by the way as far as duck species go.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2011, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go buy you a set of Buck Gardner calls with an instructional cd. It will teach when and how to call ducks.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
Go buy you a set of Buck Gardner calls with an instructional cd. It will teach when and how to call ducks.

Yep.. What he said.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Spike

The Buck Gadner set is GTG. Double reed calls are generally easier to use for beginners & get the job done, & single reeds get you the most realistic sounds.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

I got the buck gardner set but it really didn't help me out much... what I did is used the basics from the BG set and then got online and found natural duck sounds... you can look these up at the audobon society website. I then tuned my technique to model that of the real duck. The reason I did this is because some one told me that a real duck would never win a duck calling contest and most people out there seem to think that duck calling contests are the norm. Tho Buck Gardner does not teach this technique it is still what your mind has been tought to think. out in the blind, nothing beats a real duck as you will find out when you have a lone hen land about 100 yards away and start calling... your spread wont mean a thing to the rest of the ducks coming in... good luck out there.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

What part of Kansas are you hunting?
Old 08-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skiftcky
I got the buck gardner set but it really didn't help me out much... what I did is used the basics from the BG set and then got online and found natural duck sounds... you can look these up at the audobon society website. I then tuned my technique to model that of the real duck. The reason I did this is because some one told me that a real duck would never win a duck calling contest and most people out there seem to think that duck calling contests are the norm. Tho Buck Gardner does not teach this technique it is still what your mind has been tought to think. out in the blind, nothing beats a real duck as you will find out when you have a lone hen land about 100 yards away and start calling... your spread wont mean a thing to the rest of the ducks coming in... good luck out there.
Buck Gardner has forgot more about killing ducks than you have learned. I used his intructional tapes to learn how to call ducks. Since then I have had huge success calling and killing ducks. Buck is one of the good guys that truly wants to help new hunters learn. Anyone that would not recommend his learning CD's, probably don't know very much about killing ducks. That's just all there is to that.

Edit-I know Buck personally. We are not best friends but I was around him enough to know what kind of guy he is. I have even seen his scar from his open heart surgery. Buck Gardner is one hell of a guy and a great teacher in the art of waterfowling. Ducks being his best.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 08-07-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Really!?!?!

I see you're the type of person that gives most duck hunters a bad name Lucky, First of all no where did I down play or say BG was not good, I just said it didn't help ME out other than to get started. I used the basics to help me move on to bigger better calling. You're right Im not the best duck hunter in the world nor do I claim to be in any sense. Your post is down right malicioiuos. I don't care if you were Buck Gardner himself, that is no way to win approval for your friend.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skiftcky
I see you're the type of person that gives most duck hunters a bad name
LMAO! I'll stick to my original post. Buck is a good dude and a great teacher. Anyone who would not recommend his teachings, probaly don't know chit about killing ducks! I'm glad "someone" told you what they did. I hope you can use the internet to learn duck sounds. Ol' Buck taught me to call and kill ducks. I can't tell you how many ducks I have killed. However, I can tell you that the ducks that have been killed, with me or a close fiend, in charge of the pit or blind, in the last 12 years, are numbered in the thousands.

There will be a special place in my heart for ol' Buck (and his crew) forever. If that gives a bad name to duck hunters, then so be it!! I love the guy and so do most people that have had the chance to know him.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:55 AM
Fork Horn

Lucky, you have some serious "all about you" issues... no one is conteding your best duck hunter on huntingnet.com status or Buck Gardner not being a good guy. Im sure he's an outstanding individual. However, you lucky, are not showing the same type of courtesy that you preach.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.