Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Best way to finish off a crippled bird? >

Best way to finish off a crippled bird?

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Best way to finish off a crippled bird?

Old 07-11-2011, 05:03 AM
Spike

Default Best way to finish off a crippled bird?

I've asked a few people this question and haven't got two answers the same. When my dog comes back with a bird that isn't dead yet, I'm always hesitant as to what to do. Some people say twist its neck, but i did that once and the head popped off (woops), so any suggestions?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:15 AM
JW
Super Moderator

You twisted too much!

They do make a neck breaking tool alot like a pair of pliers. But I twist the neck quickly and quietly because of ethics and it is your job to dispatch a live duck quickly.

There is another method if you are going to mount it and that is squeeze the back on the lung area but this take a long time to do completely.

JW
Old 07-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Spike

Haha, apparently. I'll try not to twist 'er as much next time.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

I just pick up the duck by the head and bend it downward, it usually breaks their neck right away quickly and humanely. Sometimes a quick little jerk up does it and that's all you need to do.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Spike

Can always just grab the beak and bite on top of the head. Crushed skull instant death, but neck twist is best.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

Bite the head. Or just step on the head.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Twist the neck and tuck it under his wing.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:47 AM
Typical Buck

You've heard the phrase "Drink until she's pretty, stop before the wedding."? Well, you need to wring/spin/jerk the ducks neck while holding it by the head. Do this until the neck breaks, stop before the skin tears apart.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

My dog figured out on his own that he could just bite his neck/head area on a crippled bird and not have to fight it later. I watched him do it many times, go out and chase/catch a cripple, hold it down with his paw and then bite its neck/head for a second, then return with it. Only dog I have seen do this.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by psandhu
You've heard the phrase "Drink until she's pretty, stop before the wedding."? Well, you need to wring/spin/jerk the ducks neck while holding it by the head. Do this until the neck breaks, stop before the skin tears apart.
this is exactly what i do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.