Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
How do you train a dog to waterfowl hunting? >

How do you train a dog to waterfowl hunting?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

How do you train a dog to waterfowl hunting?

Old 04-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Spike

Default How do you train a dog to waterfowl hunting?

I have a 3 month old female Labrador retriever and I would like to learn how to teach her how to retrieve and return not only waterfowl's but also animals such as doves, turkeys, deer and other animals. She is barely a puppy but I would like to get familiarized with the process. If it's not too much to ask I would like some tips over how to start the process and perhaps the things I will need to begin the training process, I would really aprecciate it, thank you.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off, join your local retriever club. Most members should be more than happy to help you out. You local sport shop and librairies should have all sorts of training books too.
Hope you have many years ahead of you hunting with your new partner.

Ron
Old 04-08-2011, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Join a Retriever Club.
Get on a good, modern sequential training program
I prefer the Smartwork Series (by Evan Graham).

Old 04-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get the video "Waterdog". It will walk you through step by step what to do. Even a first timer can train the dog correctly and have great fun doing it. You and your dog will learn a ton. You need to get started right away. You are already behind.

Send me a PM if you have a hard time finding the video. It is the single best dog training video out there and will make your dog a great waterfowl companion and do the things that you can't do. If you follow the videos instructions.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a link. The guys name is Richards Wolters. Best video out there for the newbie.

http://www.basspro.com/Richard-A-Wol.../26611/-941352
Old 04-24-2011, 05:43 AM
Spike

water dog is a little too old school for me unless thats a revised version with ff. Duck dog basics dvd by Chris Akin will give you an idea of what you're getting into and things to start on. and then you can decide which route to take. Evan Graham Dvd's arent cheap but excellent and very detailed. By the way I've never seen a dog retrieve a turkey and I wouldn't want my duck dog chasing deer.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of programs that are WAAAAAAY better than Water Dog.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Doc E
Lots of programs that are WAAAAAAY better than Water Dog.
Nothing but funny. My video is better than yours and my daddy can beat up your daddy. Jeesh.

Waterdog is a good video. I speak from my experience only. Maybe your video is better. Who the F#@*& knows.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

robbesnels I was in the same shoes as you are and i asked the same question but I went and started searching RTF which is retrievertrainingforum.com they basically told me to get a good training program and Ive done so and my dog is doing great!! I started the puppy program part of mine when he was 10 weeks old and im already very pleased with his performance. I got the smartworks program by Evan Graham.. Its very easy to follow and it gets addicting... haha I ordered mine from www.gundogsupply.com
Old 08-10-2011, 05:03 AM
Spike

Tom Dokken's retreiver training book is a all around book that includes water training. It can also be ordered from gun dog supply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.