HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   What kind of decoys? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/34088-what-kind-decoys.html)

coolbrze0 07-28-2003 06:13 AM

What kind of decoys?

What kind of dekes do you all use? For Canadas I use a few G&H super mag Canada shells to lay under occassionally, some Big Foot Canadas, some Flambeau floaters, some Flambeau and Carry Lite Canada feeder butts, and some Flambeau shells.

For ducks, I have both Flambeau and Carry Lite weighted Keel Mallards and some of feeder butts also.

yellowlab03 07-28-2003 09:24 PM

RE: What kind of decoys?

I am cheap so I use flambeau, I figure that if the ducks are close enough to relize that the ducks in the water aren' t real then they are close enough to smoke over!

caveman22 07-29-2003 07:03 AM

I' m not sure if the ducks can tell or not but G&H look much more attractive to me. They hold their paint a lot longer too. Has anyone seen or used the GREENHEAD brand weighted dekes. I got a Basspro sales paper in the mail and they had a dozen for $19. I' m guessing that they are comparible to Flambeau or Carry Lite.

yellowlabman 07-29-2003 04:40 PM

Herters decoys are tops in my book. A little more costly, but they last so you are not replacing them as often...money saved in the long run. I have had problems with the paint peeling off on G&H dekes in less than a year!

Ruddyduck 07-31-2003 08:40 AM

Make mine cork if your please , my second choice are Herters.

caveman22 07-31-2003 01:29 PM

GREENHEAD???????????????????

I' m not sure if the ducks can tell or not but G&H look much more attractive to me. They hold their paint a lot longer too. Has anyone seen or used the GREENHEAD brand weighted dekes. I got a Basspro sales paper in the mail and they had a dozen for $19. I' m guessing that they are comparible to Flambeau or Carry Lite.

LKing 08-01-2003 04:43 PM

I have always used Flambeau' s until today. I purchased a dozen XPS goose shells. Anyone have any experience with XPS?

drgildy 08-02-2003 05:24 PM

Ruddyduck, I agree with you I love cork. I am just finishing painting a dozen mallard but I have Bluebill , Goldeneye, Bufflehead and Canada cork decoys. I am also an addict of decoys and have many different brands. They all have good points and bad points, I just love the way cork floats if I don' t have to carry them and am hunting out of a boat. The Greenhead decoys sold by Bass Pro look great at first but the pain peels so soon that you will do well to not have to repaint them by the middle of the season or the second weekend whichever comes first. I hope that they figure out the paint problem because they are a goodlooking decoy till you have to use them.

ducksndeer 08-04-2003 06:19 PM

All the banging around my decoys get in the boat, I use G&H. Paint seems to never chip. My hunting buddy had a dozen carry lites, half way into the season, paint is almost all gone.

master_sniper2002 08-17-2003 08:11 PM

I just happen to have a dozen of the Greendhead Mallard weighted decoys and one dozen of the Green Wing Teal decoys. I think they are very nice. The pictures really don' t do them justice.