Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

first call

Old 02-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

i have 2 of his calls and i dont sell my calls or anything, personally i dont care what other people think, noone is going to change my choices on the gear i buy or what i do.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:27 AM
Spike

RNT Hunter series. I good entry level, single reed. It is around that $50. price point.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Try to see if u can find a Tim grounds sweet meat. It's about $55 and it's the best double reed call I have ever blown. It's real easy to blow to. It's actually a reed and a half. But I'm not sure if they sell it at cabelas.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

See if you can find one that comes with an instructional cd. I know that Buck Gardner has one and his CD is really easy to learn from .
Old 02-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Spike

i have been using zink calls but have bought a echo timber call and it is a great call for the money and would recoment them but i personally like the more high dollar calls because they are ussually easyer to blow and sound better and 150.00 for a call isnt really that much when you think of how much entertainment you will get out of it i blow a call every day so i figure 150 for 2hours of intertainment a day is a good investment but try as manny different ones as you can before you buy one

good luck and happy hunting
Old 02-22-2011, 05:00 AM
Spike

I started out with a Yentzen "shurshot" duck call 35+ years ago (back when we had 45 RPM records for instructional purposes!) and I have never seen the need to get another call. I am on my third one, and it works just fine. They aren't that expensive (I think I paid $5-$10 for my first one) and they are made of wood, so if they are dropped in the water, they float! (Try that with acrylic or plastic!)
I've never seen the need for $100 calls....if that's your thing, then more power to you, but you can call in ducks with a less expensive call and use the remaining cash for other items, like shells, ect.
Just my 2 cents........
Old 02-23-2011, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

RNT makes awesome calls. Give one a try and you wont be disappointed!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Spike

Hey if you haven't picked out a call yet look into a Zink Power Hen Poly Carb Double Reed. The call is easy to blow and sounds great, you can also get an instructional DVD (Waterfowl University) that will teach you the basics of duck calling (when to call, how to hold your call, where to get the air to call, etc...). The call and DVD should'nt be more than $50. What ever call you get, get an instructional DVD/CD and practice. Check out the Zink Calls website for more information. www.zinkcalls.com