Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Goose hunt problems

Old 12-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Goose hunt problems

I am not much of a waterfowl hunter but my fellow Guides who handle the waterfowl hunts are having problems. They hunt a shallow 200 acre lake, thousands of geese on it. The problem seems to be getting close to the geese or getting them to come close. Once the first flock arrives back after the morning feeding they get shot at then they land elswhere, out of range. then the following flocks set near the live geese and not the decoys. How can the hunters consistantly keep the geese returning to their range or how can the hunters bring the fight to the geese?
Old 12-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Spike

sometimes we wait and see where they are crossing to come back and set up there and pass shoot them.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

How frequently is the lake being hunted ?

Old 12-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

200 acre lake is a large piece of water to try to control. If their calling and decoy placement is up to par and they have not overshot the place, they should be able to so if they are worth their salt as a "Guide". I have hunted places that had "Guides" and they could not call to save their a*&!!! It was somebodies kid needing a job and could make some noise on a call that the owner could not tell the difference between a duck call or a kazoo. If the "Guides" know what they are doing, they should be able to adjust on the fly and make it happen. My .02 cents.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got access to some layout boats? Pass shooting, like Ichunter wrote, may be your best option in your situation.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, will pass info along. We have had our share of "noise makin Kids" Not the problem now.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

try to let some birds land and have live decoys. then shoot every other flight and even shoot the birds who jump up.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I'm not understanding your post. If these guys are guides and charging people to go hunting, you would think they had experience. They should know what to do without any help from us. Just saying....
Old 01-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Find out where their passing by to get to the live geese,and try to nail them as they pass.If its too far out of range put your decoys as close as possible,and whenever a flock trys to fly past call real hard.some strays might come in.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

Lots of corn!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.