Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Virginia Deer Hunter seeking to learn about Waterfowl Hunting >

Virginia Deer Hunter seeking to learn about Waterfowl Hunting

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Virginia Deer Hunter seeking to learn about Waterfowl Hunting

Old 12-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default Virginia Deer Hunter seeking to learn about Waterfowl Hunting

I was sitting in a tree stand yesterday, waiting for a deer to walk by. From the stand, I could see geese and ducks come and go and hear the waterfowl hunters shotgun blast. I thought to myself, maybe I should venture into bird hunting. Any advice on getting started? I am in the Northern Virginia Area.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck... That's all I'm going to say...

There is so much to learn about waterfowling, and the ridiculous, crazy, insane, totally bizarre, laws regarding blinds and property/riparian rights - it just boggles the mind.

The waterfowl guys constantly complain about a lack of ducks and geese, and what seems like a great area to hunt waterfowl, you can't hunt - because it's a protected area or the private land owners feed the waterfowl and won't let anyone hunt them.

Not only that, if you do get into waterfowling, get a good pair of waders with a ton of insulation. I have frozen my a$$ way too many times - and one time, I swear to God, I was on the verge of getting hypothermia!

Waterfowling takes serious dedication, and I'm afraid that in order to really score some ducks, you gotta know someone who knows someone, who can get you into one of the duck marshes as a guest.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hahahaha wow.....

There ain't that much to it. Yes there are quite a few equipment needs and additional licenses to acquire... but even in VA (where killing a big buck with a bow consitantly is pretty hard to do) you can infact kill ducks reliably. I have been doing it on my own since I was 16..... I'm 27 now.... and still kill over 100 ducks in this state alone a year. I own no land... my family owns 1/2 an acre in a neighborhood. What I hunt is public land I found by scouting and paying attention to my surroundings. Its not impossible or even that hard... its just that people are lazy and accept things as they might at first appear. The waters of this state are public. Period. Go a-hunting my friend.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by vadeer
I was sitting in a tree stand yesterday, waiting for a deer to walk by. From the stand, I could see geese and ducks come and go and hear the waterfowl hunters shotgun blast. I thought to myself, maybe I should venture into bird hunting. Any advice on getting started? I am in the Northern Virginia Area.
I am in the same boat as you except on the other side of VA. I really want to get into duck hunting too. It does seem like a lot to learn and I have not met anyone around me that duck hunts. Would really like to find someone around here to hit the waters with that could mentor me.
TUck
Old 12-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Spike

Buy a duck call that has a tape or dvd with it to teach you how to use it. A couple of decoys will work to begin with. You don't need dozens, just a few. Scout a lot and find where the birds want to be. Make sure you can get them off the water after you shoot! If it's to deep to wade and you don't have a dog or boat, use a fishing rod with a top water bass plug to retrieve them. If you think you may not be able to retrieve what you shoot at a certain location then hunt someplace else. Get on Ducks unlimited web site and learn how to I.D. waterfowl.
Happy hunting and be safe.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Spike

Buy dekes, learn the basic quacks and stay hidden. The best calling is less calling, let the decoys do the work.

My buddy calls duck hunting the deer hunting remedy for people with A.D.D
Old 04-29-2014, 09:00 AM
Spike

Well I was finally able to find a few places to hunt at the end of deer season last year. To late to get on any ducks, seemed like they showed up once duck season was over but got quite a few geese. Still looking for more options on places to hunt for next season on the sw side of the state if anyone has any opinions please let me know. I have to say it is quite addictive!
Thanks,
Tuck