HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Need Waders...newbie question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/336080-need-waders-newbie-question.html)

ksigtuck 12-11-2010 01:53 PM

Need Waders...newbie question

Hey Guys,
I am looking to get a good set of waders for duck hunting and being new to the sport I am not sure what I should be looking at. I was hoping to hear from you all what waders you would recommend that are going to hold up and keep me warm. Are there certain brands that you would recommend over others?
Thanks,
Tuck

bris7617 12-11-2010 04:37 PM

The only brand name waders I wouldn't touch ever again are Browning. Myself and a hunting partner ordered a pair the same year and niether one lasted the season. I bought a pair of Cabela's 5 mil after that (about 5-6 years ago) and they are still going strong. The seam cover on the back of one leg is coming off but they are still waterproof. The low boots are easier to get on and off but if you are planning on trapping or being in water with a lot submerged brush the the high boots work better and last longer. I prefer the suspenders with clips rather than velcro. Seems like I am constantly adjusting the velcro straps on mine.

Alpine_Archer 12-12-2010 03:15 AM

cabelas super mag or light mag waders are great and reasonbly priced. The light mags are on sale right now for like $140... order one size smaller that your shoe size so that they fit tight and your not losing them in the mud. I just got a pair and they are NICE...

JW 12-12-2010 08:06 AM

I bought 5 mil neoprene from Cabelas in 1996 and they are still leak free!

I went to Cabela's Super-Duty Zipper Waders 3 yrs ago and have not been sorry at all. They don't leak and are far easier for this old guy to get them on. Liked this brand so much I bought a pair of hip waders too!

Now I have always been you pay for what you get! Cheaper waders don't last long.

I for one buy a size that I can get my foot in comfortable as too tight of a boot will cause you to get cold feet. These have Thinsulate in the boot and I wear 2 pr of wool socks. The outer fabric is built to bust brush and they are reinforced in the knees.

JW

placeshooter 12-12-2010 10:11 AM

hey, i have a pair of mad dog neoprene 3 mil. chest waders, that i wouldnt trade for anything, i have had them a for about 3 years now, and they never leak and always keep me warm. and as a trapper and hunter they go through a beating with me, i have taken them through slew after slew, and have even been breaking ice in them to pull traps out, best thing is they wer only about $100.

Teddee5 12-12-2010 02:43 PM

Cabela's have a variety of waders for all purposes. The best pair I have had and still do are Cabela's 5 mil reinforced. They have heavy insulation in the boots so keep your feet warmer than some. They are rather heavy but make up for that buy being warmer. They also come in fuller chest sizes with shorter legs. Being a chunky 5 ' 9" around 210 lbs with 11 size boot, I don't have a lot of leg wadded around my ankles that I would have with a reg. size 11. That is important. This is my sixth season with no complaints and that 5 mil. also works wonders keeping me warm. I must admit that I had doubts about the new fangled mil. waders, but they are great in cold weather.

SecondChance 12-12-2010 03:26 PM

We waterfowl hunt on an averge of 60 days a season and I buy nothing but the Cabelas Super Mag 1800 grm Thinsulate 5mm Neoprene. I have a pair now 3 years old and they are leak free. I had a buddy dig around and research the LaCrosse and Cabelas brand and came to find they are the same boot, different name. Both get sent back to LaCrosse to be repaired or replaced. I always get mine the same size I wear for they are over sized for heavy pairs of socks and I wear a 12 and get a 12. Don't go a size smaller for they will be tight and won't stay warm in the really cold weather for you won't have the trapped air and then the room for extra socks as well. I wear mine in the boat for warmth also.

DrHouse 12-12-2010 05:34 PM

The big questions here is how cold does it get where you going to be shooting?