Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

What weather is best?

Old 12-07-2010, 02:30 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Default What weather is best?

I hunt in west central bama. We don't have clouds of ducks, but enough to hunt. I'm in a flooded river bottom that holds woodies and some mallards. My question is what weather changes or fronts really move birds down, and when's the best time to hunt them? Any feedback on this will be very helpful! Thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 03:27 AM
Fork Horn

I like to hunt right before during and after a cold front... lol. In my experiance the nastier the weather the better for watrerfowl hunting. A north wind always helps too.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:35 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

I've always just been like, hunt when you can too. If a fronts coming through, witch of those days are more productive? Are they with, ahead, or right behind it? Or can you even pattern that close? I hunt on weekends regardless, but I can leave work and like those days to count! Lol!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

they move really good on cloudy days because they can see better, they move good when its raining too. They also move good when its really cold weather and have some wind. I havent really noticed any pattern of how they fly before during and after fronts so i really cant tell u anything bout that. Do u hunt off of the black warrior? I live in tuscaloosa and hunt some property right off the river.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:06 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

I have 300 acres on the sipsy, used to hunt in sumpter though. I've got tons of woodies, and some mallards. Maby we could swap hunts oneday. Ever so often I'll be deer hunting and mallards will be in thick! Would still like info if someone might know when to expect em comming! Always here people shooting on those days but no other time. When it's full of woodies seems like were the only ones blasting! Lol