HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   What choke for BlackCloud? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/335136-what-choke-blackcloud.html)

SecondChance 11-28-2010 06:57 AM

What choke for BlackCloud?

Was having a "Discussion" with some bird buddies and was "comparing" what choke worked best with BC. What ya'll using and why? What choke were you using and why did you change? We all have hunted waterfowl even back in the lead days and have gone through the steel learning stage together and always get into these "Conversations" once in awhile. I personally shoot a Briley Mod. ported with 3"-2's and BB's. I even go to Imp. Mod with 3"-3's and 2's as well. Was just more nosey than anything else.

fst96ss 11-28-2010 09:13 AM

I use the Carlson's BC mid and long chokes as well as a Cabela's branded Carlson's IC choke. They all work great with BC. Any non-ported non-wad stripping choke should work fine.

7mm08 11-28-2010 11:04 AM

I was curious what everyone was using too. I just bought several boxes of 3" #4 at Dick's yesterday(buy 1 get 1/2 off second) for my Huglu O/U 12ga.

I'm new to this whole duck hunting thing, and also to using steel shot. Is it true that with steel an IC becomes a modified, modified becomes a full, etc.? I've read that a few times on various sites.

JW 11-28-2010 01:50 PM

7mm08 - that is a good rule of thumb.

Now for yrs I used Modified and hated it. I recently got back into duck hunting quite regular and took this gun to the pattern board as I struggled with it before. I found it was shooting low and off to the right. - no wonder!!
I modified the stock and on a whim I went to my Improved Cyclinder (IC) and now the gun is awesome. The IC choke tossed a far better pattern than my Modified.
I hunt mainly over decoys and use my decoys to aid me in distance to shoot. I never have my farthest decoy more than 35 yrds from me at any given point.
Hope this helps
JW

WIbackwoodsU61 11-30-2010 04:35 PM

STRAIT HEAT by Jeff Foiles
Thats the only way to go!

LA_Duckman 12-06-2010 04:48 PM

Why hasn't anyone said Kick's Vortex yet? It's supposed to be the best choke on the market for BC. I use a Kick's HighFlyer Full and it shoots BC shells pretty good but the Vortex was made just for Black Cloud.

ShortHanded 12-07-2010 06:59 PM

Carlson BC mid over decoys

BIGBUCK17 12-08-2010 08:08 PM

yea the kicks vortex works good with black cloud but LA Duckman i wouldnt use your kicks highflyer with black cloud becasue the ports strip the wad and the black cloud shells have hulls that are not made to be stripped and that could mess up your choke or barrel. I got a kicks high flyer IC and Full and both of them work good with regular steel. I got 80% in 30 inch circle at 40 yards with full choke 3" #2 kent and 88% in 30 inch circle at 30 yards with IC 3" #4 kent.

SecondChance 12-11-2010 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by BIGBUCK17 (Post 3737197)
yea the kicks vortex works good with black cloud but LA Duckman i wouldnt use your kicks highflyer with black cloud becasue the ports strip the wad and the black cloud shells have hulls that are not made to be stripped and that could mess up your choke or barrel. I got a kicks high flyer IC and Full and both of them work good with regular steel. I got 80% in 30 inch circle at 40 yards with full choke 3" #2 kent and 88% in 30 inch circle at 30 yards with IC 3" #4 kent.

I think you mean they have wads that aren't meant to be stripped from the shotcharge.

jakelogsdon 12-13-2010 11:27 AM

You guys must like cleaning your guns........:poke: