HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Best goose set-up on a hillside field? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/334525-best-goose-set-up-hillside-field.html)

mac266 11-19-2010 07:02 AM

Best goose set-up on a hillside field?

Goose season is fast approaching, and I'm going to hunt a cut cornfield on public land. The field is on a slight hillside with thick woods at the top, bottom, and one side.

I don't have a ground blind, so I'm going to camouflage myself just inside the wood line with my decoy spread nearby.

Which end should I set up on? The top, bottom, or the side?

Colorado Luckydog 11-19-2010 07:58 AM

Let the wind decide for you.

mac266 11-19-2010 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog (Post 3725083)

Ok, I'm a deer hunter. You'll have to explain that one to me! In deer hunting the rule of thumb is to keep the wind in your face. Geese to use their sense of smell, so what exactly do you mean?

Colorado Luckydog 11-19-2010 08:16 AM

If there is any wind at all, geese will have to land into it. Set your decoys in a fashion that will give you the best shot knowing they will have to land into the wind. If they are high pressured geese, they will not want to land very close to the trees. Maybe you can get them with some good pass shooting while they are working into your dekes. I'm sure some more guys will chime in with some other thoughts. Good luck to you.

Teddee5 11-21-2010 03:19 PM

Always place your decoys either facing the wind or some facing some quartering.
Geese always take off into the wind, just like planes. You cannot place an obstacle in their path where they need to take off, they need room to lift. They will almost always stay away from any form of cover, as to keep predators away from them. They usually stick to the high point of any field for visibility and I must admit, you may be pissing into the wind with a setup like you describe. You didn't say how large the field is, but corn stubble is a great attractor. Good luck and don't give up. It's a great hobby.
Of course, the above is not etched in stone, they will always make a liar out of you, me and everyone else.

SecondChance 11-22-2010 08:10 PM

Why do you have to hunt this particular field? And by what Co. Luckydog meant was that they more times than not land with the wind in their face and take off the same. Their wings use the wind as a brake to land and then as a booster/lift system to take off.

As the others have said, it will be tough depending on how large this field is, 2 acres, 10 acres or 100 acres???? Do the geese use this field regualr or you just hoping that they will if you place dekes out there? Hard to tell with limited information.

WIbackwoodsU61 11-30-2010 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog (Post 3725083)

Exactly what lucky dog said. also with that in mind dont sit where the sun is beating down sit on a shaded side if it works with the wind that day. That just makes it even harder for the geese to see you.