Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

best waterfowl loads??

Old 11-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Spike

Default best waterfowl loads??

im sortov new to the whole waterfowl huntin thing, so i was wonderin if yall could maybe give me some ideas on what might be the best loads for ducks, and best loads for geese also? any input is much appreciated! thanks guys!
Old 11-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't get all caught up in the high dollar choke tubes and heavy shot or fancy shells.. It is going to depend on what your gun patterns best with. I use Wincher High Velocity, because the increased speed will help make up for the lighter steel shot, and my gun likes em.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

Go with higher speed/smaller payload over slower speed/heavier payload.

Shoot something going at least 1500 fps, shot size 2~4. I'll leave the brand up to you.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Spike

appreciate the input! does the brand actually make any difference? is there a particular reason to go faster and lighter over slower and heavier? ive heard that the slower and heavier does more damage? just askin cause im not sure. thanks again guys
Old 11-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

Brand does make a difference but as a beginner you don't want to jump all up to the expensive stuff. I shoot the same Winchester High Velocity steel that Cjwink shoots and it does fine for me. The problem with steel is that it has less density than lead so it will not fly as far. Having the extra velocity behind it helps you get out there as fast and with as much punch as possible. There is also a tungsten round that is more dense than steel but you're looking at paying 30 dollars for 10 rounds. Stick with the winchester high v or remington nitro which about 2-3 bucks more than winchester hi-v
Old 11-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Blackcloud is the very best brand out there for the money. You can shoot Blackcloud 2's and cover both ducks and geese. There is not a better waterfowl shell made that comes close to Blackcloud, unless you spend a buttload of money. Bismuth and Tungsten are great if you have the dough, but Blackcloud is the best for the money.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had good success for several years now with standard Rem. nitro's through my gun. I shoot almost exclusively 3" BB shot for every thing.
Colorado Luckydog is correct, Blackcloud shells are great, if your a great gunner. They will not however make you a great gunner.
Practice will do that. With enough annual (that means every year) practice, any brand will get you by.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Spike

appreciate the help fellas
Old 11-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

I use Federal Speek Shok's, and have been for the last 3 or 4 seasons. 3.5" going 1550 fps, 1 3/8 oz load. I get them for around $13-$15 per box, and I buy 2 cases of them before the start of the season.

They go fast.

They don't cost much.

The perform well and are reliable.

I could buy something better, but they are more than $15/box.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Spike

Blackcloud has been very effective for us on canadas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.