Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Best Way to camo a boat

Old 07-16-2003, 07:16 PM
Q

Default Best Way to camo a boat

Okay, I' m new to duck hunting and I want to paint my alluminum boat camo. Any tips? I' d like to do a better job than just the old splotchy flat colors. Has anyone ever tried to make a pattern? Maybe hold some vegitation up to the boat and use it as a stencil with spray paint? Any ideas? Thanks, Q
Old 07-17-2003, 06:58 PM
Q

Default RE: Best Way to camo a boat

Today someone told me they (who' s " they" ?) make a kit to do just what I described. Any one ever heard of such a thing? Where can I get one? Q
Old 07-18-2003, 07:59 PM
Q

Okay, at the time of this reply, there are 22 hits on this topic and no replys. Apparently, everyone is interested in the best way to camo their duck boat, but nobody knows how. So, I' ll share the info I' ve managed to dig up. Apparently, there IS such a thing as a stencil kit. You can find it on this website-

www.mackspw.com

When you get there, do a search for - Camo Stencil - you will find two different kits for two types of vegitation. If you hav' nt allready been there, you should go check out the site anyway- its a great hunting gear site.

BTW: I' m new to this site. Does anybody check this friggin board?????!!!!!
Old 07-20-2003, 03:18 PM

I have seen these stencil kits but have never used them. I believe Cabelas has these kits available. I also believe that Cabelas has a vinal(sp$) sheet that is like a big sticker you can put on your boat. Have not used it but it is something different. Hope this helps.

This section is a lottle slow this time of year but it should start picking up soon.

Old 07-20-2003, 06:12 PM

Just a word or two of advice remember you can camo that boat but if you do nothing to conceal that white beam that comes when the sun hits your face many a duck will flare. So if your going to camo the boat for concealment by blending in. Make sure you take steps as well to blend in.

Many years ago while hunting state game area for early geese. I witnessed flashes in brush across the lake. I took binoculars and behold someone across the lake I could see with my eyes flashing like a mirror only to find out it was a goose hunter quite concealed except his face, which was quite noticeable 1/2 mile away. So just want to make sure if your boat does not close up like an avery blind make sure you try to avoid the same thing happening to you.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:01 PM

I painted my aluminum canoe about 3 years ago and the paint is holding out pretty good (except where I beach it). Here is what I did...

I bought an outdoor paint (green) for concrete, aluminum and some other metals for my base. after 3 coats of this (allowing thorough dry time in between coats), I simply used spray paint in black and brown to paint arc-like features on the base.

This has worked pretty well for me for the past 3 seasons and cost was less than $40.00

Good Luck with the Duck!
Old 08-04-2003, 06:28 PM

I have found that if you rough the surface of the boat with some sandpaper it stay on the boat a lot longer.