Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
What to call and when to call >

What to call and when to call

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

What to call and when to call

Old 11-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Spike

Default What to call and when to call

Hey guys I've never hunted ducks or geese before. My buddy has been doing it for a while but doesn't get to many. I've read a couple treads on here about what calls people like and keep reading it's more about what you call and when. I've got a spot where I deer hunt that is right on the edge of a swamp that has a ton of ducks and geesein it and they're ALWAYS making noise. I would like to give duck hunting a shot and was hopeing for some tips on when to call and what to call. Thanks!!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

The best way to call is as little as possible. 9 times out of ten I have ducks flying into my dekes without a call being given. However, if you have higher flying ducks you may need to coax them in closer.
I usually give a hail call in two successions to ducks who fly close but keep going... this is kind of like saying "Please Come Back To Me" into the call. If they are kind of close and interested in my decoy spread I usually hit a short feeder call... kind of like saying "tika tika tika quack" and then remain still until I see the wings cup or back flap for landing. Also another feeder call to let other ducks in the area know I "found food" is tika tika tika tika quack tika tika quack. This makes them think that more than one duck is in the area feeding so try and change the tone of your tiks and quacks as you call.
use a good whistle call for your drake mallard.... don't blow into the call actually vocalize the sound "wheeeeeeeeet'' about 3 to four times in succession. you can also use short peeps in different tones for teal. Most important of all DO NOT over call... I've seen guys out there who didn't put their call down for over an hour and just called constantly. There is absolutely no need for it. All it does is create call shy ducks. Well, hope this helped you out. feel free to ask any other questions about duck hunting.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Spike

Hey man. Thankk you for the calling tips! I went out this morning it was really foggy but still seen 6 ducks, didn't get any but still had a blast! Thanks again!!
Old 11-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Go buy you a call cd.. I got one of Buck Gardeners when I first started hunting. Its a combo pack that comes with a call and an instructional CD... One of the things he says in there is to call at wingtips and tailfeathers. Meaning ducks that are leaving you or not paying any attention to you. If they are not coming your way anyway it won't hurt to call to much.. But if they are coming in or looking at your spread keep that call to a minumum.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Glad you had a good time, hope you see some more ducks next time, more so in your bag on the way out of the blind than in the air. Do get a call cd... it helps to give you the tones you need and speed of calls. A better way to do it is go to www.ducks.org and go to the waterfowl ID page. You can find natural duck sounds to mimick with your call. Good luck
Originally Posted by dennismeyers333
Hey man. Thankk you for the calling tips! I went out this morning it was really foggy but still seen 6 ducks, didn't get any but still had a blast! Thanks again!!
Old 11-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Spike

I have several calling cds but the best in my opinion is called bad grammer and it doesn't tell u how to use a certain call but how to communicate with the geese and I think they have one for ducks to but nothing replaces time in a blind if you listen to the birds they will tell you what they want to here
Old 11-14-2010, 12:48 AM
Fork Horn

This is true, I hear ducks talking a language that I never heard the best caller use. I try to use natural duck sounds, you can hear some of these on ducks.org and also audobon society website.

Originally Posted by allflockedup
I have several calling cds but the best in my opinion is called bad grammer and it doesn't tell u how to use a certain call but how to communicate with the geese and I think they have one for ducks to but nothing replaces time in a blind if you listen to the birds they will tell you what they want to here
Old 11-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

For natural duck sounds, Zink put out a CD that is strictly recordings of real ducks in a few different situations. If I remember correctly they were: Feeding, Greeting, and Resting Mallards.

I uploaded the CD onto GrooveShark for this exact kind of occasion. Here you go:

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/sear...y=zink%20calls
Old 11-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

By the way, the one on there called "Hunting Sounds and Introduction" is the first track on the CD and it gives some explanation. You might want to listen to it first.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

Talking

Originally Posted by bscofield
For natural duck sounds, Zink put out a CD that is strictly recordings of real ducks in a few different situations. If I remember correctly they were: Feeding, Greeting, and Resting Mallards.

I uploaded the CD onto GrooveShark for this exact kind of occasion. Here you go:

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/sear...y=zink%20calls
Just listened to your tracks, that is awsome stuff right there. Just listening to in made me jealous and want to be in a spot where ducks are that thick. Thanks for posting this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.