Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Time to make a difference... >

Time to make a difference...

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Time to make a difference...

Old 10-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Spike

Default Time to make a difference...

Hey everybody... Most of you will probably skim right over this, but Im gonna ask anyway. Im big into hunting and fishing. Its my life. I would say nearly 60% of my time is spent in the field. Im 18 years old. I started fishing before I could walk. Started hunting when I was old enough to shoulder a 12 guage. And Ive been doing it ever since... Im a freshman in college this year. Im majoring in Wildlife Conservation and Management. Im so passionate about the outdoors that Im dedicating my life to protecting it and making sure its there for future generations. Lately Ive been doing a lot of thinking... I really want to give something back and educate people about the beauty and NECESSITY for the outdoor sports. I really want to try writing field journals or holding seminars or ANYTHING that I can do to get involved and educate the public. I hate seeing our favorite hunting and fishing spots wasting away because of neglect. Im tired of the bad reputation hunters get. Im fed up with the lack of funding and projects to help keep the wild, wild. I want to take a stand and do my part, any way possible. Does anybody have any tips or information for me to help get me started? Or at least put me on the right track... Id love to find a magazine or online journal I can write for. I dont need to get paid for it or anything... I just want to give something back and protect that which I love the most.

Thanks everyone,
Mike Murphy
Old 10-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Spike

Yes, you can make a life out of it. Find a good Wildlife management / biology program at a university and attend college there. Do a minor in English or journalism if you want to pursue writing as well.

From here the doors are open to what you make of it. Working for a private firm as a consultant to state and local wildlife management programs is an option. Working for the state department of conservation is another, teaching at a college level about the field, there are many options in this realm.

Find a handful of people in any of the hunting magazines that write articles and look up what their past was. Many of them were Biologists of some sort as well as life long outdoors men.

This might not be exactly what you want to hear but I hope its enough to get your gears turning.

Here's an Idea of what can be done on a professional level.

Dr. Larkin Powell-Associate Professor of Conservation Biology and Animal Ecology
Dr. Larkin Powell is an associate professor of conservation biology and animal ecology at the School of Natural Resources. He teaches courses in the school’s fisheries and wildlife program, including field courses to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and Puerto Rico. He has an active research lab for M.S. or Ph.D. students and postdoctoral associates. Larkin’s areas of study attempt to explain how management of landscapes affects wildlife populations, and he has worked on projects involving forest and grassland songbirds, upland game birds, sandhill cranes, quail-doves, waterfowl, small mammals, mesopredators, painted turtles, and raptors.

Last edited by DrHouse; 10-15-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Added Professor from University of Nebraska
Old 10-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Spike

Im already attending college majoring in Wildlife Conservation and Management as my post already stated. Im persuing a B.S. and hopefully upon graduation I can work for the Colorado Division of Wildlife as a District Wildlife Manager. Im really trying hard to do everything I can but I was just hoping for maybe some other ideas while Im in school. i thought about joining clubs but my school doesn't really offer anything all that appealing, or related, to my career path. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mentor as a Big Brother, Boys Club, Cub Scouts of America.

Pick one and one................we need the youth to help us fight the battle.

Good for you !!!
Old 10-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Spike

Ah I must have skipped over you saying you were already in College or it didn't process. Either way, if your looking to donate your time towards the protection of land, wildlife and habitats I would consider calling the Division of Wildlife and seeing what they have for volunteer sessions.

Education wise you can join a gun / hunting club and help when they have youth days. Find out if organizations like the NRA or Ducks Unlimited have local events that promote various aspects of hunting.