Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

New Shotgun Help!

Old 10-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Spike

Default New Shotgun Help!

Hi,

I'll be purchasing my first shotgun in the near future. I know I'll be bird hunting, especially duck hunting, so i need to get my hands on a shotgun. I have no idea where to look and what to purchase so I need your help! Here are a few questions.

1) Should I purchase a synthetic or wood gun?

My buddies always come back from duck hunting covered in mud so I'm guessing synthetic might be more durable?

2) What shotguns should I be looking at?

I've heard good things about the Remington 870 Wingmaster and the Benelli Supernova, but obviously there has to be more out there. I am willing to spend up to $1500 on a gun.

3) Should I get a pump or semi auto shotgun?

That's all that comes to ming at the moment.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Jason
Old 10-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

IMO semi auto's are better, they have less recoil, and you don't have to pump.

All the big shotgun makers have great guns benelli, Beretta, browning, remington, winchester... they all make good guns.

I would also say as with most things the nice ones get pricey, but for 1500 you can get most hunting shotguns. benelli super black eagle 2 is a good duck gun, I would look at the Vinci from benelli also. Winchester SX3 is a nice one as well, beretta makes alot of nice autos like the extrema, Browning also makes some nice autos.

i would go with a synthetic stock, if you get a camo gun it doesn't rust as easily also.

hope this helps a little, you should try shooting your friends guns and see what you like!!
Old 10-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

if you can spend up to $1500 then you should look at the upper benellis and berretas
Old 10-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Blake covered it nicely !

Proud owner of a Beretta Extrema .....................Camo, of course.

Takes 3.5" shells and doubles as my Turkey slayer.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

get a benelli m2, vinci or sbe2. those are 3 really good guns. i got the m2 for duck hunting. but whatever you get make sure you get camo cause the camo is really durable and resists rusting very well.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

Get a 3.5" semi-auto with a synthetic stock. It doesn't have to be camo, matte black synthetic is OK.

Remington used to market the SPR 453. See if you can find one. $450.00
Old 10-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

$ 1500 is a great budget to have. You should go to a shop that has all of these guns. Pick them all up and make sure you shoulder them like you are going to shoot. Find the gun that feels and fits the best and that is the gun you should get. Just because you have a budget that can pretty much get whatever you need doesn't mean you need to spend it all. I'm not saying don't spend the whole $ 1500... just make the priority finding the gun that feels the best, not the name that is going to sound the best.

I would definately go synthetic. I have three duck guns. SBE II, SX-3 and a Benelli M1 Field gun. The M1 has a wood stock which swells everytime it gets wet. Not great for a duck gun...

Good luck.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Spike

One more thing to think about, if ducks are your main target. What style hunting are you doing? If your using decoy's, a pump is going to work just fine. I use decoys on the weekend and just bring my pump, the reason? You must plug your gun to hold only three shells, I've never had a problem blasting off three shells with this style. If your hunting next to a river and shooting at flying ducks, spend your money and get a semi auto. Always get a camo gun if you've got the money. Just worth the investment for rust issues.

This is just my two cents.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Trophy_Bucks
One more thing to think about, if ducks are your main target. What style hunting are you doing? If your using decoy's, a pump is going to work just fine. I use decoys on the weekend and just bring my pump, the reason? You must plug your gun to hold only three shells, I've never had a problem blasting off three shells with this style. If your hunting next to a river and shooting at flying ducks, spend your money and get a semi auto. Always get a camo gun if you've got the money. Just worth the investment for rust issues.

This is just my two cents.
you can shoot flying ducks just fine with a pump. it is actually a skill to pump a shotgun smoothly, fast and not moving the gun. i happen to be very good at it
Old 10-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by marlin30/30_drabe
you can shoot flying ducks just fine with a pump. it is actually a skill to pump a shotgun smoothly, fast and not moving the gun. i happen to be very good at it
I'm glad your very good at it, so you agree then, a pump shotgun works well for duck hunting. Remember though, he has the money for a semi-auto, a semi auto still works better in that situation regardless how well you yourself shoots with a pump.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.