Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Nother, what kind of duck is this? >

Nother, what kind of duck is this?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Nother, what kind of duck is this?

Old 10-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Spike

top two pictures are definitely a drake widgeon not in full plummage. I am not sure about the other one
Old 10-18-2010, 07:26 AM
Spike

Don't listen to R-Duck, he is obviously jealous or just has a chip on his shoulder. A simple congrats would have been fine. Keep all of your negative comments to yourself.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Spike

im glad somebody said it. Nobody is perfect. Crap happens
Old 10-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Typical Buck

No I'm not jealous or chip. I'm old enough to had hunter under a point system when one had some restricted species in your bag limit. Back then you had darn well know what you were shooting at all times. There was no season for Cans and for hens points were high and taking one black for you first bird you're day was done. Under those rules getting up early busting your butt to beat someone to a good spot on public land and to not know the diffence could mean one and done or only maybe 2 birds. You learned not to shoot if you weren't 100% sure.
You learned how to waterfowl not just shoot birds. Good hunters could tell the difference between a hen mallards ,pintails etc. and a blackduck and tell the difference between them if a flock came to the decoys. Heck hunting big water like Raritan or Barnegat ,Cheasepeake Bays ,Hackensack Meadowlands, coastal Me. you idenified birds waterfowl at a mile.
I've watched my fair share of new hunters blast away at coot , commorants,grebes etc. Some got away with it others got fines. I'm just dismayed when people shoot and haven't a clue at what they shot at.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

So if I shoot a 6 pointer, but I find out later its only a 5 point but still legal, am i a bad hunter? Sir, some of us are not hardcore waterfowlers, we just like to get out there and get some ducks. As long as our dead birds are legal, whats wrong with that?

BTW you hunted in the meadowlands? I grew up in that area, I dont remember it ever being legal to hunt in hundson or bergan counties. Not saying you werent, I just know alot of old timers and never heard of anyone hunting there.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:38 AM
Typical Buck

The Hacknesack Meadowlands has been legal for a long time and still is. In fact D.U. did a show from there a year or so ago. It's shrunk down alot but used to hunt both wild pheasant and rabbit there as well as trapped muskrats.
The last whitetail was taken I believe it was 1963 or 64 at one time there was a small cedar stand near the Stadium area surrounded by truck farms. At one time it wasn't safe at night to walk along paterson plank road at night because of wild dogs too. What is an oldtimer to you ?40 -45 year old ? Never heard of the Bergen County Waterfowlers ? People still hunt from Secaucus to Keary south of Rt. 3.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

wow small world, I lived in kearny for years, I use to work down there by polaski skyway, never heard of anyone hunting down there, but yeah there are alot of feral dogs down there. Im 38, I knew a few guys in their 60s at the time (early 90s) who were waterfowlers but none ever said they hunted over there. wow I never knew.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Spike

thats a drake widgeon for sure
Old 10-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ruddyduck
No I'm not jealous or chip. I'm old enough to had hunter under a point system when one had some restricted species in your bag limit. Back then you had darn well know what you were shooting at all times. There was no season for Cans and for hens points were high and taking one black for you first bird you're day was done. Under those rules getting up early busting your butt to beat someone to a good spot on public land and to not know the diffence could mean one and done or only maybe 2 birds. You learned not to shoot if you weren't 100% sure.
You learned how to waterfowl not just shoot birds. Good hunters could tell the difference between a hen mallards ,pintails etc. and a blackduck and tell the difference between them if a flock came to the decoys. Heck hunting big water like Raritan or Barnegat ,Cheasepeake Bays ,Hackensack Meadowlands, coastal Me. you idenified birds waterfowl at a mile.
I've watched my fair share of new hunters blast away at coot , commorants,grebes etc. Some got away with it others got fines. I'm just dismayed when people shoot and haven't a clue at what they shot at.

What do you want, a pat on the back?

Listen here Buckwheat, the one and only duck that was illegal for him to shoot was not what this duck was, case closed.

You want to come on here and brag how you identified ducks flying a mile away, go ahead.

You want to talk about how things were back in the 1950's, go right ahead.

The original poster just wants to know what kind of duck he got. No one wants to listen to you bragging about your waterfowl identification skills.

The duck was legal so you have no ground to stand on.

So, tell me, how's it feel getting blasted for making a simple post? Nothing like tasting your own medicine
Old 10-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruddyduck, take a chill pill. My waterfowl kills are in the thousands. (not bragging, just a fact) I'm color blind and I have a hell of a time identifying ducks in the air. Sometimes I can't even tell the difference between a drake and a hen mallard unless it's a clear day and the sun is bright. I still keep hunting and if I shoot a limit of hens, I have to quit for the day. Don't be a douche to your fellow hunters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.