Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

gettin new gun, opinions?

Old 12-21-2011, 09:53 AM
NEK
Fork Horn

My brother is still shooting an 870 he bought back in - I think 1954. He has had it completely refinished once a few years back - but there has never been one mechanical problem with it and he has harvested thousands of game animals and birds with it. It was his first gun. I have never owned one but I have shot his quite a lot years ago, and it always shot real good. I think the 500 and the 870 are both excellent guns - good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since you've posted this question in the waterfowl forum, I'm guessing that you plan to use your shotgun for ducks (geese?).

Pumps work great, and have a long repuatation for durable performance in the face of brutal use & abuse situations. I've taken a few limits of ducks & geese in Sask with my Win. 1300. I now use a Benelli SBE II for waterfowling.

But...think of this. When Browning introduced the A-5, it quickly became a "gotta have" gun of waterfowlers.

Save a bit more, and look at a Stoeger semi-auto for a gun near the price range you've given. The intertia driven (under license from Benelli) action doesn't have a gas port to get plugged up or keep clean.

Whatever you get, practice at a clay range in the off-season. A gun's action can't make you a better shot. Practice will.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:50 AM
Spike

Dont get one is my advice...but i would choose the remington 887 instead of the other and it in your price range.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Spike

Flip a coin between the 870 and the 500. Personally, the 500 is a better performer than the 870 in my book. Once you loosen either one up they will be a fine gun. It was mentioned that you're less likely to get a lemon and I agree with that. The 887 kicks like a mule IMHO, something with the stock angles and the Stoeger you better be prepared to break in a difficult functioning autoloader. Once the Stoeger action breaks in their OK, but look at how many are on the used gun rack before you jump on one...
Old 07-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

I had a mossberg 500, 835, a streger 2000 and a 870. I still have the 870 I sold all the others. The 870's are built right and last. I have had mine for over 10yrs.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

I used a Rem 870 Express for years. I recently went to a SBE II. Had to make payments on it but it was worth it.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nitro.Bass
Absolutely with all due respect, personally, I'm not worried about a $269 (This week at Cabelas) Remington 870 Express holding it's value. Not worried about a Mossy 500 or 835 holding their value either. They all work, and work pretty well... Line up all three models, close your eyes and grab one and go with it...
I can't believe I missed this, last year. Resale value isn't everything. If you are going to keep the gun and hunt with it, you want the best you can afford. You didn't read the part about, Remington 870's have sold more SHOTGUNS than all other shotgun makes and models COMBINED. ALL OTHER SHOTGUNS COMBINED.

The 870 is a workhorse and is built very well.

That being said, I only hunt with Benelli's but Benelli fits my budget.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bald9eagle
I used a Rem 870 Express for years. I recently went to a SBE II. Had to make payments on it but it was worth it.
Well worth it! It will be the only shotgun you need the rest of your life for hunting. Buy a Benelli and you don't need to spend another penny for a shotgun again.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 07-30-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Spike

I can't speak for the mossberg, but i own 2 870s. My 12 ga i bought last october with the 3 1/2 in chamber. I used it hard all season in the blind. It cycled most shells great, the 3 1/2 in winchester shells jammed the 1st time, but i think that was because when the crimp opened it stuck out a little farther than other 3 1/2 in shells. I had a hard time gettin it to cycle 3 in hevi shot at 1st, but it eventually worked. I don't know if it was just a breaking in issue being a brand new gun. About the 887 i have not shot one but i have shouldered them and i felt like the action wasn't as smooth as my 870.

Hope this helps
Old 08-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Spike

The rem 887 is JUNK IMO,The WINGMASTER 870 MAG or SUPERMAG is one of the best duck guns made. Ive put 1000s&1000s of rounds through mine and they NEVER STOPS WORKING.Ive used it for ducks,deer,turkey and dove hunting and shot a few hog's too.Just change the choke tube and GETRDUN.For my money I'll keep my 870s(I have 2 one for a back up for buddys that shoot mosburg/browning/winchesters because theres cant keep up) till they stop working,I just dont know when that will happen 26+years and still working GREAT.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.