Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

help on steel shot

Old 09-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default help on steel shot

I have used winchester expert hi velocity steel and it freakin sucks balls!!!!!! pellets aint even round!!!! I have also use kent fasteel and it sucks!! so i need to know what kind of steel shot yall like to use that has worked good for you. something that is kinda cheeper. nothing like that 25dollar a box black cloud stuff. i shoot to much to afford that. any info would help! thanks!!
Old 09-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

hate to break it to you but the black cloud isnt round either. i know lots of people who use xperts with no problems as with kents. i use fderal speed steel shells and winchester dryloks without problms
Old 09-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BIGBUCK17
I have used winchester expert hi velocity steel and it freakin sucks balls!!!!!! pellets aint even round!!!! I have also use kent fasteel and it sucks!! so i need to know what kind of steel shot yall like to use that has worked good for you. something that is kinda cheeper. nothing like that 25dollar a box black cloud stuff. i shoot to much to afford that. any info would help! thanks!!
Yes - Prices have gone thru roof!

My favorite is Rem Nitro-Steel, but at $18 a box, I'm looking for a lower cost alternative, too.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Spike

I use federal.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go do more crossing and incoming shots at the local skeet range.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

"A poor craftsman blames his tools"
Old 09-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

in college my roommates and i dissected every shotshell we would find. federal gave us the most consistant pellet size. next were winchester and kent both had an array of sizes in the pellets. remington nitro had PLASTIC BB'S dont know if it was scientifically proven to shoot better or sumthin but i've never killed a duck with an airsoft gun. i shoot kents and winchesters and they work for me. i dont know what you use for a choke but after puttin in a patternmaster my kills and recovered bird count skyrocketed
Old 09-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

marlin yes i know black cloud has some pellets in it that arent round. its the 40% fleetstopper pellets and they are designed that way. if you cut open some winchester expert hi velecity shells it looks like someone shoved a bunch of nerds(the candy) in it.
and im not just "blaming my tools" i mean i shot hi density #4 shot for the last half of the season last year and there is a HUGE difference in stopping power over those 2 steel shots i shot last season. They just did not penetrate good or have very good downrange energy. I mean i shot a freakin coot sitting in the water from 20 yards with kent with my patternmaster duck choke and it just sat there after i shot it!!!!! so i shot it again and it just started swimming like nothing happened!!!!!! then it got up and flew to the end of the pond so i walked over there and shot it again and it finnally made him start goin spastic in the water. 3 shots with that stuff sittin still before anything happened!!!! my friend got the whole thing on camera and my pattern completely covered him up and thats when i decided im not shooting that crap anymore. i may try some of those federals that some of yall were talking about or the remingtons.

Last edited by BIGBUCK17; 09-08-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:08 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot ITX but I also use a blackpowder shotgun. My son shoots Winchester X-Pert and has no problem getting his birds, to include a goose last Saturday.
Bigbuck17
Trying to kill a bird on the water is a gamble at best, yes it can be done, but most of the time it takes multiple shots. I bet you lunch if you would have taken that shot when the bird started to fly you would have killed it.

OH you mean to tell everyone in the world you used lead waterfowl hunting last year? that is exactly how your post reads you might want to edit your post.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

I really like the Heavy metal loads HAd great success with them last year i paid 19 per box of 25 this season buying online so thats not too bad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.