Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Retrieving Ducks With No Dog >

Retrieving Ducks With No Dog

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Retrieving Ducks With No Dog

Old 09-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default be glad you didn't see this

I've gone down to my undershorts in COLD water to swim after a duck. I'm not about to let a dead duck float away.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is what I use when I'm puddle jumping;

Still have to use the wind and/or the tide................

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=78598

BTW - the fishing pole does work also.

Last edited by Sheridan; 09-03-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

If you have access to ponds ducks frequent, it should not be too difficult to team up with a duck hunter who would love to have access to ponds where ducks frequent that has a retriever. Just make certain that they understand the only access is with you along.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Spike

I meet a guy who took a remote control jet-sky removed the top cut a decoy in haft and put the top half on to the remote control jet-sky he then took a small plastic basket cut the side off and them zip tides it to the decoy he use;s this to retrieve his duck and even shells on the lake he hunts works grate i was thinking of doing this my self
Old 09-14-2010, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

i second what vermont hunter said. for example, i hunt without a dog and when i dont have a boat i simply carry a fishing pole with a shallow diving topwater lure. works like a charm for snaggin the birds. just make sho ya conceal the pole real good
Old 09-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Spike

We bring an inter tube that you would use to go sledding with or use in a pool. Doesn't keep you 100% dry but if you have good boots and gloves then you should be in good shape. If you hunt with a buddy have him bring one of the floaties that the girls layout on, its good for putting multiple ducks or geese on.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Spike

I have duck hunted in the past with no dog to get the ducks. I hunt in small farm ponds so some are shallow and a boat is not an option. I now have a dog but before that, I would carry a fishing rod with a lure with several hooks on it in the hunting vehicle. This worked for me everytime. Just throw it over the duck and careful snag or drag the duck to you
Old 10-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

I don't have a dog either... well i do, but he's still got a little work to go... so as of now i dont use a dog. and as everyone has said, fishing pole with some treble hooks, i usually throw a bobber on and let the hooks fall about 8inches below the bobber.

or just get some waders and walk out to them.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

We have had to throw rocks in the water and let the ripples push the duck to the side of the pond. Works really well but takes a little time. Will help your pitchin arm out alot.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:51 AM
Spike

Is it that your mother won't let you have a dog, or is it she doesn't want or have the $$ for a good dog ? If it is the latter, you can find a dog for little or nothing often times at either a local shelter, thru classifieds in the paper or on the net for little or nothing. When I was in high school, I had two labs that I got that way, and both turned out to be great dogs for waterfowl.