HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   decoy spread size (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/328327-decoy-spread-size.html)

hunt91 08-23-2010 10:48 PM

decoy spread size

i just wanted to get everyones opinion on how many decoys they use and how many of duck vs geese. when me and a buddy of mine hunt a public lake about 30-40 acres in size (that usually 2-5 other groups hunt) we use about 40 goose and 25 duck decoys with the ducks closer to the blind thats hidden in the cat tails. whats your set up????

Ruddyduck 08-24-2010 03:36 AM

I've found where you set up and quality your decoys and how they are set out is more important than numbers. Most of my hunting has been mostly public land and water. Max amount of decoys I've used in most cases is a total of 50.
I'd always get the boat lauched by 3 and carefully place the decoys which takes some time and usually have 45 minutes or so before shooting time to enjoy coffee and breakfast.

BOWHUNTINGisLIFE 08-26-2010 07:21 AM

one think i have learned from seminars and just out in the feild, and it has chaged are duck spread completly, we use about 30 goose decoys and 5 to 10 ducks, with the goose decoys in the front were u want to shoot the birds, and put some ducks of to the side, this is because ducks love to land with geese. Ducks love geese, geese hate ducks.. is wht i have learned. they feel safer because they can get up and fly alot faster then geese.

Cessna Flyer 08-26-2010 11:46 PM

I like using a dozen or less duck decoys. I don't have any goose decoys anymore or there would be a few out also.

psandhu 08-27-2010 06:35 AM

I have a small boat (1436) that I keep my gear in, but I don't hunt out of it. It's just used for transportation, and for a dry place for the dog to stay if I'm standing in water while hunting.

There's usually 30-60 duck decoys in my boat, and a pair of canada goose floaters. When I approach an area that I'm going to hunt, I set the 2 geese out about 50-75 yards away from where I'll be standing, then I continue motoring the boat to where I want it to be. The rest of the duck decoys get placed much closer to where I am.

Colorado Luckydog 08-27-2010 07:18 AM

Big is almost always better when you are hunting with that many groups on a small piece of water. As long as your decoys are quality decoys, I'd throw out everything I had to look bigger than the other groups.

i_bowfish93 08-27-2010 02:07 PM

we use about 2dozen duck decoys and set out 14 16 goose floaters...but in fields we set 50-60fbs...snow goose wise we set about 900 fb's and shells

Alpine_Archer 08-27-2010 03:25 PM

We use any where from 6 mallards or wood ducks for small ponds and creeks up to 3-4 dozen and a mojo when i'm in more open places like rivers and fields.. It really depends on what and where i'm hunting.