Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Getting into it!

Old 08-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default Getting into it!

This will be my 2nd year of dedicated waterfowl hunting. I have always been a deer hunter and upland bird hunter, then turkey and now ducks and geese. I have alot of $ wrapped up into everything else I hunt and the leases, etc. So I don't have alot to spend on another "passion". I am pumped to kill the sh!+ out of some ducks and geese this year. I built a layout blind that when flipped upside down turns into a cart to haul all my gear. It's also big enough for my GSP to lay inside with me and exit through the bottom. Just bought a dozen shell canadian decoys and outfitted my $800 kayak into a camouflaged sneak boat, killed my first woody drake last winter out of it while floating a creek through a swamp.

Don't really know why I started this thread, don't have any questions, just wanted to say I AM PUMPED! My wife is convinced I need mental help but who has the money for that when I have to buy steel shot?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

Get a dozen or two mallard decoys. Rig them "Texas Style". It's much easier and quicker to put them out, pick them up if they are Texas rigged as opposed to wrapping the cord around the keel and sticking them in a bag. Your cord doesn't need to be over 3-4 feet long for each decoy. You might want to get a spinning wing decoy, but that is a whole other thread.