Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
flocking/painting goose heads >

flocking/painting goose heads

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

flocking/painting goose heads

Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Spike

Default flocking/painting goose heads

I just attempted to flock some of my older geese heads. It was a pain in the butt and I am not all that happy with how they look. There is a noticeable amount of shine coming from the heads. The epoxy the kit came with was a high gloss finish and it is visible through some of the flocking.

Can I lightly spray paint over the heads with a flat black to help get rid of some of the shine?

Thanks for the help
Old 10-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Spike

I just reflocked a ton of my heads. SCREW the epoxy the kit comes with. First off... Wipe down your heads with a harsh solvent like laquer thinner. Quickly though, you dont want to break down the plastic. Next, mask off your cheek patches and paint them FLAT white. Wait a few hours and let them dry. Mask them off where you want your lines, and put a THICK coat of flat black rustoleum, or similar spray paint, on the rest of the birds. Before the paint skims up dust the head with your flocking. I did mine over a rubber maid tub and just dropped handfulls of it all over the painted surfaces. Once you get complete coverage with your flocking, knock off the excess nylon by tapping the base of the neck against a hard surface. Let your heads dry for about an hour (or however long you want) And then paint OVER your flocking with flat black again. All this does is help adhere the flocking to the head. I do a couple light coats after they are flocked or one decently thick coat. Allow it to dry again for about 4 or 5 hours and then your ready to demask it. Careful on demask because your cheek patches you painted earlier arent completely cured out yet. Let the whole head cure in the sun or garage or whatever for about 24 hours to allow the paint to fully cure. Then youre ready to hit the field! =P

This set up usually lasts 2 or 3 really rough seasons for me. And the good part about it is when the flocking starts to wear off, you still have a thick coat of flat black underneath. Good luck to ya!