Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
How real do decoys need to look? >

How real do decoys need to look?

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

How real do decoys need to look?

Old 07-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default How real do decoys need to look?

I'm looking at getting some tangle free decoys...but I'm not overly impressed by the paint scheme as far as looking real looking...how much does this matter and am I too critical?

I attached it, let me know what you think
Attached Thumbnails How real do decoys need to look?-wood-duck-deke.jpg  
Old 07-26-2010, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

The paint scheme is not that critical. People used to decoy ducks with milk jugs painted black. The current realistic look of most decoys isn't meant to fool the birds, it's meant to make the hunter part with their money.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

The more they are out in the open the more realistic they need to be.

The more they are “tucked in” the less important realism is; because they need to commit to coming in before they can discern the difference.

Last edited by Sheridan; 07-26-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

Simple is better. Look at paint on decoys such as L.L.Bean's out of the Decoy Shop.
Painting is simple ,distinct lines ,not much detail. When you look at birds in prime plummage don't the colors jump out at you from a distance with distinct color breaks? It's not closeup detail that draws your eye.
IMHO cork with simple paint schemes do the best.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

As has already been suggested by the earlier posts, there are multiple aspects to decoy realism. You don't want the decoys to be right on the edge of the marsh, because real ducks prefer to be more or less in the middle. Additionally, if the decoys cannot readily be seen from the air (for example, if they are too close to the edge of the marsh and the ducks are looking where they expect to find brother ducks -- in the middle of the marsh or pond or lake -- they might not see your decoys). You want to decoys to have some movement. On very still, windless days, this can be a problem. If your ducks are placed realistically and have movement (wind or some other source of movement), the physical appearance realism is probably less important. Also, it makes a difference as to how spooky the ducks are. In ealry season, ducks are rather naieve and easily decoy and respond to the call. Late in the season, it is going to be a different story. Back to the appearance of the decoys, I would be less concerned about the realism of the color and attend more to the surface sheen of the decoys. I don't think I would want "shiny" decoys.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:22 PM
Fork Horn

The more hard hunted the birds are, the more realistic the decoys need to be. Any goose hunter can tell you that. If they don't look real, geese soon learn it, and will not respond. Why else so you thnk so many hunters use Big Foot decoys, because Art Ladehoff is a meticulous decoy carver.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

Depends what kind of success you want.
I'd take 20 great looking decoys over 100 bad ones
Old 08-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

The decoys need to be where the ducks want to be.

As suggested, you could have a spread of 400 decoys on a lake, as the flock flys over head and lands in a field 100 yards away.