Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
What sort of ammo do I use for waterfowl hunting? >

What sort of ammo do I use for waterfowl hunting?

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

What sort of ammo do I use for waterfowl hunting?

Old 07-15-2010, 03:42 AM
Spike

Default What sort of ammo do I use for waterfowl hunting?

Hi, I'm a beginner at waterfowl hunting and am wondering what ammo to pick out... i have a 12ga shotgun... it can only hold 2 3/4 shells. What sort of size shot should I get? if you could explain in some detail that would be great. I don't fully understand what all of the numbers on the side of the ammunition box mean. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

Do you know some one that hunts waterfowl there close to you?
If so it would be better to talk to them and let them explain things to you.
There is a lot to know about waterfowl hunting and the law. You need to know your different ducks and geese and be able to identify them in flight.
I know this does not answer your question. But it sounds to me like you need to learn more than just how to read a box of shells. Steel shot is what the law says you have to use. Lead is out. You can not use lead shot.
If you lived close to me I would be more than happy to help you.
Good Luck on learning and hunting.
Always Hunt SAFE.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

Use a Modified, Improved Cylinder, or Cylinder choke. Don't use Full or Improved Modified or any sort of turkey choke tube. As far as shot size goes, you'd be OK with 2 or 4 shot for most ducks. Don't get 6 and don't get BB. Make sure your gun is plugged to hold 3 shells.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ditto to what has been mentioned already. With steel shot speed kills, get something that is going fast 1500 fps fast. If someone tells you need 3" or even 3 1/2" shells to kill waterfowl just ignore them 2 3/4 is enough to kill waterfowl. I personally shoot waterfowl with 3" shells mostly because they are little easier to find. Kent, Federal, Remington, Environmetal (HEVI-shot) all make good waterfowl loads. I personally use Kent Fasteel http://www.kentgamebore.com/fasteel_waterfowl.asp

Here is Federals website. I suggest you try Black Cloud, I would use it but my shotgun Choke Doesn't work with it. http://www.federalpremium.com/products/shotshell.aspx

If you got a lot of money hevi-shot is an awesome product, got a box waiting to be shot, but that is a once a year thing. Here is their website. Hevi-shot is better than lead. http://www.hevishot.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21:he vi-duck&catid=15roducts&Itemid=5

If you need any more help just PM me
Old 07-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

any where from 2 to 4, if your gonna shoot geese get a different gun with at least a 3inch chamber,,3 1/2 is best for the big canada geese
Old 07-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Spike

Sounds like you may have an older shotgun only shoot's 2 3/4 need to check to see if the barrel will be able to shoot steel some older guns wont handle it and by all means get with some waterfowlers and pick their brains there is so much to know and regulations good luck
Old 07-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Spike

steel shot (tungsten, heavy, fasteel, or the like) will be clearly marked.
the numbers relate to the size of pellets the smaller the number the larger the shot size and the fewer there are in each shell. i know a lot of people like the 3 in and and 3.5 in shells and they do an excellent job. i prefer the 2 3/4. if i am hunting an area for just ducks i usually shoot a 4 shot and will fall back onto a 2 shot if i run short of shells (i buy most of my shells during the off season). i will shoot a 2 shot or BB shot if hunting areas that may present the oppertunity for ducks and geese.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by juspassinthru
Sounds like you may have an older shotgun only shoot's 2 3/4 need to check to see if the barrel will be able to shoot steel some older guns wont handle it and by all means get with some waterfowlers and pick their brains there is so much to know and regulations good luck
Your gun will probably be okay, but this is good advice. Back in the day shotgun barrels were not made to handle the hard steel shot loads or some of the other non-toxic loads we use today. Your gun could be fine, but only being able to shoot 2 3/4 loads kinda of raises a red flag. Also it may have a fixed full choke barrel which could make things worse. My Dad shot steel shot through his old model 97 for years. Until I finally convienced him its not a good idea. I would ask someone that knows about the gun or get a hold of the manufacture to make sure. Hopefully your gun is good to go, and then all you have to do is learn the basics. The rest you can learn as you go. I've been waterfowl hunting for 25 years and I'm still not an expert.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Steel shot of course, but as shot size for a 2 3/4 shell you need as many pellets as you can get, I'd reccomend 3s or 4s
Old 08-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

i have a buddy that used a 20 ga. for ducks and geese for the first 2 years that he hunted. his gun was also chambered to fire only 2 3/4 shells and he could drop them like rain. the shot you use plays part in it but the biggest factor is knowing your range and getting the pellets into the kill zone. that being said, personally i would use either 2's or 4's because you shouldnt be shooting that far anyways. and if you have interchangeable chokes then a modified would probably work best however you should pattern your gun with some different combinations of shot size and choke to find your ideal set up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.