Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Maryland Steel Shot Laws ? >

Maryland Steel Shot Laws ?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Maryland Steel Shot Laws ?

Old 07-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Spike

Default Maryland Steel Shot Laws ?

My question is, if I am NOT going to hunt goose over water, meaning grass field only, do I still need to use steel shot in Maryland?

I have read the books and there is no specific mention of the laws of steel shot being used exclusively or only in situations where water is involved.

I don't feel the need to buy a $40.00 box of steel shot when I don't have to.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:36 AM
Fork Horn

It is not a state law, it is a federal law, the states have to abide. You have to use non toxic for all waterfowl and even upland on refuges.
a good place to start: http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/cu...s/nontoxic.htm

heck load up with lead, it is only money, your equipment and/or vehicles you will loose
Old 07-12-2010, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

You have to use non-toxic shot when hunting waterfowl, regardless if you are hunting them over water or dry land. $40 for a box of 25 shells seems high. I have good results with BB or BBB steel in a 3.5 inch shell. They're less than $20 for a box.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt MD and the guys above are right, no lead shot allowed for fowl because of Federal Law. I would suggest checking out Rogers Sporting Goods online. They usually have some Federal Steel loads for $99 a case. Works just fine.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

Guessing by you screen name you live in Charles, Calvert, or St Mary's? Dick's Sporting Goods in Waldorf has shells cheeper than 40.00 a box. Depending on what shells your looking for, 3.5 or 3 inch they run 24.00 a box for federal Black Cloud and cheeper for the remington steel. Good luck.