Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Gearing up for the coming season. >

Gearing up for the coming season.

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Gearing up for the coming season.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Spike

Default Gearing up for the coming season.

I am new to this site and fairly new to duck hunting.
I got a new job last spring and my boss is the single one responsible for getting me hooked. I had just bagged my first deer and first elk in the month prior when I found myself setting decoys with him. I thought to myself "After the deer and elk, I dont see how I could get into shooting a few ducks..." boy was I mistaken. I killed a spoonie hen and 2 widgeon hens that day, and was hooked. haha.
Within the next week I owned.....
-1 dozen old used rubber inflatable decoys
-1 dozen new Greenhead Hotbuy II marrard dekes
-A new pair of bootfoot waders in Mossyoak Duckblind camo
-A new 4 in 1 jacket in Mossyoak Duckblind
-A mallard call and a duck whistle

Then mid season I bought a dozen standard Greenhead Mallards
Then after season, at a local sportsmans show on sale I picked up a dozen Tanglefree Greenwing Teal

Our work is summer seasonal work. So we work from late spring to early fall and whack'n stack all winter.
I joined the Army National Guard after the season and have one month left till I get home.
When I get home I am buying my bosses old duckboat.
Its already camo, they put the blind on thier new boat, but I am looking forward to making my own.
I am so excited that while I have been gone I ordered online and now have sitting at home waiting for me.....
-Another dozen Greenhead Hotbuy II mallards
-1 Dozen standard Greenhead pintails
-9 Carrylite magnum mallards
-A mold to make the strap style anchors
-lead melting pot

I am getting so anxious to get home and get all my new gear set up.

I shoot an old beat up Mossberg 500 12ga that I picked up at a used gun shop for $100. Doesent look pretty but hasnt failed me yet. I had picked it up last October and within a week, bagged that first deer of mine with it.

In what free time I do get on weekends during training, I have drawn up plans for a duck blind in one of our favorite spots and even sketched out different ways to set my dekes.
Glad to be a part of the waterfowling community.
Oh, and if anyone knows where I can get a good deal on some camo netting, let me know please.
Thanks
Old 06-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know the feeling.... huge bow hunter for years, got the itch to try it and bammmm. I now have built 3 boats, own 6.5 doz field deeks, 3 doz floating ducks, 12 water geese... sold 2 boats this year and still have 2 canoes and the three boats I have built. I dont even fish!!!! Love this crap....

As for mesh, I found the best blind material to be a Avery boat blind. Picked up just the fabric for 100.00 but has outlasted the other two materials I have bought that cost over 100. Good stuff.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:49 AM
Typical Buck

Wehn you rig your decoys, do them "Texas style". It's much much quicker to put them out and pick them up than if you wrap the cord around the keel. You only need 3 or 4 feet of usable cord per deke. Get a sling for your gun too, and one of those 5 shotgun shell elastic carriers to put on your stock.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by psandhu
Wehn you rig your decoys, do them "Texas style". It's much much quicker to put them out and pick them up than if you wrap the cord around the keel. You only need 3 or 4 feet of usable cord per deke. Get a sling for your gun too, and one of those 5 shotgun shell elastic carriers to put on your stock.
I do have the elastic shell carrier on my stock, and a sling, haha.
I had seen the different ways of rigging the dekes like that. The only thing is that I have 6 to 8 feet of cord on each one. Around the tidal water in the Columbia River system its hard to get by with less. Even though the other half of the time I only need 3 feet. I normally figure 8 the cord from around the neck to around the tail, then finish it off around the neck with the strap style anchor. I like the idea of the texas style setup, just as long as I can find an easy quick way to finish off the end of the cord with having it secure.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the world of waterfowl One of my Fav's, lots of action most days and it really seperates the crazies out hahahaha.

Semper fi and thanks for serving