Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

New to duck and goose

Old 05-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Spike

Default New to duck and goose

I moved to and area that has good waterfoul hunting.What gear would say is a must have and what is just fluff.I already have two 12gauges already.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Spike

which type of waterfowl hunting will you do? Field hunting or over water?
Either way you need decoys, shells or fullbodies for field, floaters for over water.
Need waders and a dog or dinghie or a boat for over water.
a layout blind is nicer for field hunting,but you can get away with burlap and whatever cover you can gather in the field.
and a duck and a goose call, some #2 shot usually works well.
That is as basic as it gets, your pocketbook and what you can carry is the limit.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:31 AM
Fork Horn

209 Jones told you right. Once you start hunting duck and geese and if you like it. It will cost you tons of money. Good luck with your hunts.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Spike

both fields and a over couple ponds thanks I know it's expensive but it seems like fun
Old 05-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by duckhunter578
209 Jones told you right. Once you start hunting duck and geese and if you like it. It will cost you tons of money. Good luck with your hunts.
The more you like it the more you will spend... youll want better decoys and better calls. not mention better, warmer waders and then a bunch of other junk you just dont need... There is nothing like a good morning of blasting ducks!!
Old 05-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Spike

Respect your quarry and carry an instrument to dispatch wounded birds.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

I was in your same situation many years ago. Here's the basic things you will need. Once again, just the basics...

12 mallard decoys, water keel. $35
12 anchors (old spark plug, washers, etc. nothing fancy). $5
12 decoy anchor cords, about 3-4 feet long, $5
mesh laundry bag to carry decoys, $5
hip boots. $50
camo outerwear, hat, gloves. $75
a mallard duck call, $20
3" steel shot, #2, $15/box

You can upgrade by getting 36 decoys, a 3 dozen sized decoy bag, chest waders, a boat and motor, spinning wing decoys, etc.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by psandhu
I was in your same situation many years ago. Here's the basic things you will need. Once again, just the basics...

12 mallard decoys, water keel. $35
12 anchors (old spark plug, washers, etc. nothing fancy). $5
12 decoy anchor cords, about 3-4 feet long, $5
mesh laundry bag to carry decoys, $5
hip boots. $50
camo outerwear, hat, gloves. $75
a mallard duck call, $20
3" steel shot, #2, $15/box

You can upgrade by getting 36 decoys, a 3 dozen sized decoy bag, chest waders, a boat and motor, spinning wing decoys, etc.
if he is hunting public land or in anything that requires walking in water, he might want to get waders before he buys anything else, or it will be very very short hunting days...
Old 05-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to go with the the wader recommendation. I hesitated on buying some, but followed the outfitters advice. Waders are great when laying in a muddy field too.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Spike

For the field, start with good shell dekes. Final Approach makes some great ones. It gives you lots of coverage for your $. Get some decent camo and some cover blind material. I used to use a muddied piece of burlap before I got layout blinds. Blinds are good, but you can hunt for a while without them. Get a decent call and practice year round. A CD is good for learning, but also go find some geese on a pond or something and listen to what they sound like.

For ponds, you need a mixed bag of dekes and waders. A dog is good, but takes a lot of time and money to train. Better to get the hang of it first and then train the dog to do what works for you. Greenhead hot buys are good for the money. I like Cabela's hunting waders too. Get some good calls, but you don't have to spend a lot.

Get a good basic rig going and then expand with better stuff as you go. It is incredibly addictive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.