Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Water fowl gear questions

Old 02-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Spike

Default Water fowl gear questions

Im looking for items to buy before the next waterfowl season

A choke and a lanyard..and does anyone know any alternatives to getting your shotgun dipped? Camoclad?

Anyone know any good quality chokes/lanyards that are cost efficient and reliable? Appreciate the help!

Cory

Last edited by corelando; 02-20-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:33 AM
Spike

I've used the CamoClad tape (2"wide) on my barrel and receiver sides, and it's really durable if applied properly (degreased and warm). You will have an edge-seam-overlap on the barrel if you butt the tape against the rib, but it blends and sticks well.

I also purchased some of the Carlson extended steel choke tubes for the ease of swapping them out without a tool, and happy with their performance so far.

Can't help with a lanyard.........I just use the basic ones available.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by justashooter
I've used the CamoClad tape (2"wide) on my barrel and receiver sides, and it's really durable if applied properly (degreased and warm). You will have an edge-seam-overlap on the barrel if you butt the tape against the rib, but it blends and sticks well.

I also purchased some of the Carlson extended steel choke tubes for the ease of swapping them out without a tool, and happy with their performance so far.

Can't help with a lanyard.........I just use the basic ones available.
Thanks very much i thik ill get some camoclad, and looking at a few Primos lanyards
Old 02-21-2010, 12:58 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I see no reason to Camo your shotgun if you are using a blind to duck hunt.

JW
Old 02-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by JW!
I see no reason to Camo your shotgun if you are using a blind to duck hunt.

JW
I hunt at at a conservation area where you draw for spots the majority of my season. Sometimes you get a blind, other times..like the last time i was there, the water is frozen and you have to hide out in the weeds. Which is why i would want my gun camo'd
Old 03-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Spike

Chokes: Carlson's Choke Tubes
Lanyard: Heavy Hauler Outdoor Gear
Old 03-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Spike

"gun dipping" does help to an extent to prpotect your gun from the elements .......but it ain't a cure all.

for years I have used just a run of the mill average call lanyard but at the end of this past season on our way out in the dark my dog knocked my lanyard off the boat, I lost a Folies DMM, Zinks paralyzer x2, and an Echo boss......not to mention the 8 bands that were on my lanyard. I have since replaced all the calls and have put them on a Cabelas magnum float-a-call lanyard. ($25 from cabelas) and tested it in the bathtub with some old acrylic calls to see if it actually worked. It does. IMHO, sound investment when you have $300-$400 worth of calls hangin around the water!!!!!!