HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Choke stuck. Please read!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/317759-choke-stuck-please-read.html)

dylandaniel 02-19-2010 10:24 AM

Choke stuck. Please read!!

I own a Remington 870 express magnum. I cannot get the choke out. I've tried everything but heating it. I don't know what couldve happened. Any information would be very helpful. Turkey seasons coming up and I need to be able to change the choke.

timothy.a.rogers 02-19-2010 12:04 PM

I am assuming you have been using a choke wrench to try and get it out?

Try leaving the top 4 or so inches of your barrel submerged in some oil for a couple of days.

I had this happent to a friend and we had to spray a bottle of brake-clean into a cup and submerge the barrel tip in it for a couple of days. Worked great.

ksfowler 02-19-2010 12:29 PM

I have heard that if you spray the top of the choke with WD40 and then shoot two or three boxes of cheap target loads through it will loosen it up.

JW 02-19-2010 01:25 PM

WD40 is the worst you can use.

Go purchase a good grade of "wrench ease" and soak the barrel tip as described above for a dau or two.

If that don't help go see a gunsmith.

Now to prevent that in the future. I use a thread lubricant specifically made for high tempteratures. It is a small squeeze tube (can't remember the name) - I apply a small dab each time I clean the gun.
More than likely you got a bit of moisture there - not a probelm I had a few stuck to until I started using the choke tube lube.

Oh and I also went to Briley choke tubes for most of my shotguns and they are extended. Extended allows one to put a pliers on them if needed.
And I also bought a better choke tube wrench tht fits all 4 notches and not just 2.

JW

johnch 02-20-2010 08:09 PM

DO NOT DO THIS TO A DIPPED OR CAMO ED BARREL !!!!!

Hang the barrel , muzzel down in a can of Automatic Transmission fluid ( outside is best )
The can should be on a hot plate to bring it up to almost boiling by not boiling

The muzzel should not be resting on the bottom of the can

Leave the barrel in the ATF for 24-48 hours

Then with 2 people
Ues a choketube wrench atached to a 1/2" rachet to loosen the tube

Anti Seize is your freind

John

dkhunter8383 02-25-2010 07:00 PM

Bought a used Browning Gold from a gun shop and brought it home and tried to take the choke out and it wouldn't move. Brought it back to the gunsmith and he tried everything and ended up having to heat it up to remove it....

Cut'em Jack 02-26-2010 07:50 AM

Kroil will do wonders. Make sure to use grease when you put it back

deernutz 02-26-2010 06:32 PM

I know it sounds stupid, but I had the samething happen with my 870. Take a quarter and place it in the slots then take pliers grip the quarter and wrench on it. I eventually got it. Good Luck!

SecondChance 09-27-2010 08:45 PM

Having read all the other posts, you can also use BP Blaster and soak the muzzle end for a few days and then try the choke tube wrench and see how it goes while having someone hold te barrel while you turn it.
If none of that works, try this. Place barrel in freezer, seperate from rest of weapon please, for 2 days. Take out and IMMEDIATELY place hair dryer on "High" and rotate barrel to cover all the way around choke tube area of barrel for several seconds, 30-45. and then take choke tube wrench and try removing while someone holds barrel for you. Theory behind this is that the frozen choke will stay smaller and seperate away from hot barrel and allow removal. I have done this for several buddies and it seems to work. If all fails, take to reputable gunsmith. Then buy extended choke tubes and problems go away.