HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Archery duck hunting question.. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/317092-archery-duck-hunting-question.html)

Widgeonator 02-10-2010 02:10 PM

Archery duck hunting question..

I know in california you have to use flu-flu's to archery hunt ducks, but i can't remember for the life of me the name of the broadheads for duck and geese hunting with bows. it's shaped like a firgure 8. you guys remember what they're called so i can look into them? my close buddy got caught up into a little trouble and has a temporary felony for the next year and a half, but they still allow him to use a bow for the time being. i'd like to still have an alternative to hunt waterfowl with him next season. thanks guys :s1:

sharpshooter19 02-10-2010 02:31 PM

umm idk what their called but, my dad and i were talking about goose hunting with bows ,but we would just use the biggest opening mechanical broad head.

Widgeonator 02-10-2010 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by sharpshooter19 (Post 3574102)
umm idk what their called but, my dad and i were talking about goose hunting with bows ,but we would just use the biggest opening mechanical broad head.

yeah i know i've seen them before, but i can't remember the name of those figure 8 broadheads. it's buggin me, but i might have to go with your idea. sounds like a real fun challenge as well! :cool15:

tourangeaud 02-12-2010 10:55 AM

Snaro Bird Point Is this what your looking for?????? Found it on Cabelas

Widgeonator 02-12-2010 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by tourangeaud (Post 3575620)
Is this what your looking for?????? Found it on Cabelas

this isn't the exact one i was looking for, but this is a great find! thanks so much man! this should would great!:s4:

ACutting 02-13-2010 03:56 PM

I believe I used to have what you are talking about. It was actually a Snaro with a 7/8" broadhead infront of it. Never had the chance to shoot a bird with it so don't know if it would work or not. But I also believe they were intended for smaller birds such as grouse, pheasant, quail. Not as large as a duck or goose. I would guess hunting geese you would want to hunt them like turkey. Ducks...well I have no clue to be honest.

johnch 02-14-2010 05:10 PM

For geese
We use standard broadheads

With regulare vanes
But here in Ohio , no dumb Flu Flu rules

John

OhioBowhunter 02-14-2010 07:42 PM

im sure any broadhead for deer and turkeys would work just fine for geese... ive heard that rage 3 blades work well.

209jones 03-06-2010 09:18 PM

I tried the big snare type heads years ago,went back to broadheads. You have to run an extra long shaft to keep the snare head away from the bow, and with the length I had to use on a hatchetcam or a solocam without an overdraw, that was not really practical. The only advantage they have is making arrows easier to find. It would work better with a bow dedicated to that purpose only, due to the spine changes which usually require an arrow change also.