Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Arkansas is thawing out!!

Old 01-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Arkansas is thawing out!!

Ice has covered most of the state for the last week or so.. Finally some warmer temps have thawed out a couple of our spots on the river. This was from this evening.. Me and a buddy got to hunt for about an hour. We missed a few, but overall a fun hunt. We saw swarms of birds flying... Good hunting to everyone.
Attached Thumbnails Arkansas is thawing out!!-pic-0071.jpg  
Old 01-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice!!!! Wish we had more ducks, we are covered in Canadians here.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Spike

still froze here
Old 01-14-2010, 03:48 AM
Typical Buck

My flight leaves in 5 hours. Can't wait!!!!!
Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default Killed 8 this morning

Timber is still frozen, so we are still hunting the river. Maybe in a day or two it will thaw out. AGFC said that the biggest majority of birds are using non traditional habitat such as scrub shrub habitat in river bottoms. Also large concentrations of birds have been noted in re-forested wetlands.
Attached Thumbnails Arkansas is thawing out!!-pic-0041.jpg  
Old 01-19-2010, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Just got back on Sunday. The hunt started hard on Friday. The rice fields were still frozen, but we broke enough ice up to make a small hole. Consistent high flyers, but not many birds working. We got 9 ducks.

Sat and Sun were both great days with limits both days.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Glad to hear it.Did you get to do any timber hunting? Some of my green timber still has ice on it, and it as been in the 60's. Were you guys killing all mallards or mixed bags?.... Lets see some pics.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:49 AM
Typical Buck

We didn't hunt any timbers. Everything was still frozen up and they couldn't even get the boat in the water. We killed a lot of mallards, but Pintails, Shovelers, Wigeons, Gadwalls, one redhead and one snow goose.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

The two days before the lock up, we did well. We are in southeast Ark., around the Overflow and Wilmot area. After the thaw, we had several days of great hunting. There is just so much water down here. The ducks have been scattered all season. We still have been managing to limit out on most days lately though, but still not near as good as last year. My LA. spot has been pretty slow all season.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Here's what i'm wondering?? Why do so many people with private hunting holes or clubs with land set up for waterfowl hunting not use Ice eaters? It seems like a waste not to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.