Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
How's Everyones Waterfowl Season Going? >

How's Everyones Waterfowl Season Going?

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

How's Everyones Waterfowl Season Going?

Old 12-31-2009, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its been a roller coaster in VA. We had a few early birds that I got into pretty OK. Then there was warm weather north of us and here and the first split of the main season was pretty bunk. The cold snap happened the weekend the first split closed and we got a lot of new birds during the week the season was out. Some of those birds likely came, stayed and left. Some did stay however, and when the season reopened we did ok. Problem became it went from 60 degree temps in November to 20 degree temps in early Dec, then we got a foot and a half of snow.

Lately (last week or two), we've seen a fair number of ducks, but one day we will see them, then we won't for a while. Haven't been doing much this week, shot a limit of birds one evening last week. Lots and lots of geese around, but with the low temps and freezing ponds, they are starting to bunch up and play follow the leader.... only going to the fields to feed once a day... not much movement going on.

The full moon has the got the tides WAY out of whack.. and when I tried to launch yesterday morning, the water was 10 yards from the end of the ramp across a flat of deep pluff mud. Had to wait until 930 to make it to the blind. Had a swan (and I've got a tag) I could have shot, but its early and I'm hunting for a collar. I have time to be picky (for now). Had one group of three or four local birds about 500 yards down from us carry on for a while and the few groups that did come back early went to them dispite my best efforts. Got them in range a few times.... but only for a swing shot, which I did not take.... I want feet down!
Old 01-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AGRTigers560
Not too good in eastern SC. There's just too much water around, so the ducks have an almost unlimited number of options. This spreads them so thin that you won't get a decent number on any one day. If it wasn't for getting invited to hunt a buddy's pond full of ringnecks, I don't know what I'd do.
What gamezone do you hunt? I've been hunting the lowcountry all season and saw countless birds even though the water is up. Here lately the ducks have been thinning out because of pressure, the moon and the cold front that just came in. Still saw a good number of ringers and mallards this mornin. A buddy of mine even bagged a gadwall a couple of days ago.

And swampcollie I understand about wanting those birds cupped. We had a flock of 6 or 7 mallards cupped in but the mojo teal flared them. they circled and cupped three times at about 35 yards away, but I wanted a closer shot. They eventually left after the third come around. I shouldve taken 'em... mallards down here are getting scarce.

Last edited by Chris_H; 01-01-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only my second season of waterfowling so not much to base it on. We have had a tuff time locating geese. Not many down here so far. Managed to get a few fields to hunt and killed a few but slim so far. Better days ahead I believe....