Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

canada honkers?

Old 11-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default canada honkers?

i went out hunting in this picked corn field with a little bit of snow. there is this pond about two miles away and the geese have just been gettting out of there about 8 8:30 in the morning and they have just been skirting the field and fly right around it. i have 13 shell decoys what can i do to get them to decoy???
Old 11-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

I've just sarted to get into field hunting a little more, but I'm guessing you may have to try and gain access to the field the geese want to be in. Or invest in some more decoys. Or invite some other guys along with more decoys. Thats how I have to do it because I can't afford a huge spread by myself. Good Luck!!! I hope you get on them.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

ok thanks!
Old 11-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big spreads of decoys are one way to go. But, I've met a few guys up in Sask, who hunt over 5 or 6 full body decoys with much sucess.

In fields that have a lot of pressure, the bigger spreads can spook birds who've been shot at. Smaller spreads, when tucked into a corner can entice spooky geese. It's all about showing the birds something different. Check the field for old droppings or muddy feathers. They may indicate that the birds have already fed or been in the field.

Most important thing though, is that you wrote that they fly around the field. If they're not landing in the field, there's a reason. You may have some luck calling in singles or pairs, but the local flock may be tough to convince.

Try to find where they're landing. If you can get permission there, you've got half the battle won.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

I am hunting in a picked corn field t is about 40 acer long and about 20 wide. I got permision to hunt it the day they picked it. It has been picked for about three weeks and I've Ben hunting out there almost every day ant the couple days that I missed my dad (TeeJay) has been bow hunting out there. So I don't think the honks have found it yet. I just leave my decoys out there when I go to school. The geese just get out of this pond by the hundreds and skirt the field about a half mile away. They are honking like crazy when they are flying so. I don't think they can hear me honking on my call.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

I am hunting deer by that field in a blind wih my muzzle loader and I can see those geese flying right over my decoys were last night. Haha there goes another flock about thirty yards over the Deeks
Old 11-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey sharp,
Another tip. Next time you go out there, arrive a little early and give your decoys a wipe down with towel that you've sprayed some WD-40 on. It'll help keep the water off em. Decoys that are shiney from dew or frost don't look right to the birds.

I've seen honkers flare off a set-up as they circled and caught the morning sunlight glint off some frost backed decoys. It happened three times, all when the geese got over the same part of the spread. A quick rub down, and the fourth flight of honkers finished up real nice.

Good luck this season
Old 11-29-2009, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

Its almost like there not intrested they fly over and they come out of the v. And start to bunch up but they don't circle and want to land. We. Get out there about an hour before sunrise and wipe all the frost off. But I don't know a little flock of about 16 landed out there when I was out muzzeloading when my decoys were not out there. a big flck of 200 fley over and circled but did not. Land when I was out muzzeloading also
Old 11-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you have already over hunted it. Geese are smart birds. If they see the same decoys out there all the time in the same setup, they know something isn't right. If they see birds out there at weird times of the day, they get a bad feeling about things.

It sounds like you have a lot of experience with the same birds. If everytime they get up off the roost and skirt your field, you call to them, they don't like it, they get into a routine. Birds know places to ignore, and it sounds like they have kind picked you out.

On the other hand, the field may just have nothing to offer them. If it doesn't have a lot of food present, and other fields are around, they will find a field with alot of dropped corn rather than an empty one.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you're dead set on hunting that field, then give it a rest. While you're waiting, try and get a hold of 6-12 snow goose decoys.
When you're ready to hunt the field, put your set up off to one side or sorta towards a corner. Try hiding along the fence line if there's tall grass there. Keep your calling to a minimum or zero and see if you can drop a few pass shooting.

If you get some snows, place them in small groups of 3-4 on the outside of your canadas. If you know someone with sandhill crane decoys..even better. 1 or 2 will add some realism to the field.

Maybe they're on to your calling, but it sounds like they've got your field marked as No Go for Geese.

Good Luck and have fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.