HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   want to get into goose hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/309273-want-get-into-goose-hunting.html)

bucksniper14 11-07-2009 06:20 AM

want to get into goose hunting

i live in WI and i want to get into goose hunting. what is the cheapest way to start, how much would it cost, what is the succes rate , like what is the odds of havin successfull hunts. and can u hunt geese in chipewa county wi. and how much is gear and how do u pick a spot. sorry if these question sound stupid.

Cessna Flyer 11-08-2009 01:47 AM

Hello, Sounds like you want to shoot geese everytime you go out? I don't think you will be successful everytime. I don't know anything about the goose population or areas in WI.

As for cost, some sort of clothing to break up your outline while laying in a field, a shot gun capable of shooting steel shot, decoys. what you should do is go to Cabelas and look up decoy prices they vary. 2 or 3 dozen would be a good start. if you are starting bare bones an easy 1,000 to 1,500 to start off with, that is buying cloths, waders, gun and decoys.

Mike Enright 11-08-2009 10:00 AM

Bucksniper14,
You might first try and book a hunt with a guide service and see exactly what a goose hunt entails. It is very tough to get on good pieces of property as many are under lease or agreement. There is a lot of competition for good grounds.

The equipment can be both extensive and expensive, though there is a good bit of crossover regarding the functionality of goose hunting equipment for other waterfowling (duck hunting).

Between, appropriate firearms, decoys, blinds, calls, dogs. clothing, decoy trailers (for large spreads to haul decoys), etc., it is really not a small investment.

One can start off more reasonably and add equipment in incriments, or join forces with other hunting partners in creating a suitable communal spread, leaving more expendable funds for personal gear such as guns, clothing, calls, etc.

Guiding out would give you a good look at experiencing a hunt and what is involved to pull it all together, without a major investment on your part. WARNING - IT CAN BE HIGHLY ADDICTIVE!!!

Do your homework before spending lots of money, only to find that you are having trouble locating and securing good grounds / permission.

Good luck with it.

Mike Enright

ksfowler 11-08-2009 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Enright (Post 3498931)
Bucksniper14,
You might first try and book a hunt with a guide service and see exactly what a goose hunt entails. It is very tough to get on good pieces of property as many are under lease or agreement. There is a lot of competition for good grounds.

The equipment can be both extensive and expensive, though there is a good bit of crossover regarding the functionality of goose hunting equipment for other waterfowling (duck hunting).

Between, appropriate firearms, decoys, blinds, calls, dogs. clothing, decoy trailers (for large spreads to haul decoys), etc., it is really not a small investment.

One can start off more reasonably and add equipment in incriments, or join forces with other hunting partners in creating a suitable communal spread, leaving more expendable funds for personal gear such as guns, clothing, calls, etc.

Guiding out would give you a good look at experiencing a hunt and what is involved to pull it all together, without a major investment on your part. WARNING - IT CAN BE HIGHLY ADDICTIVE!!!

Do your homework before spending lots of money, only to find that you are having trouble locating and securing good grounds / permission.

Good luck with it.

Mike Enright

That is sound advice.

Colorado Luckydog 11-08-2009 08:47 PM

I wish you lived in Denver, I'd love to take you out. It can be expensive but it is so worth it.

Alsatian 11-18-2009 11:12 AM

The best advice you are going to get is to buy or borrow a 12 gauge shotgun that can fire 3" magnums and maybe even 3.5" supermagnum shells and then ride on the coat tails of a local experienced and already equipped veteran goose hunter. Surely in Wisconsin there are ample numbers of goose hunters, you just have to locate one or two who will let you tag along. Don't buy a bunch of equipment before trying out the sport and learning more about whether you really like it or not. And as far as a shotgun, you don't have to spend a lot of money to get something that works spendidly. I have been using my Remington 870 synthetic stocked 3.5" 12 gauge shotgun for maybe four years and have found it not a whit inferior to other more expensive 12 gauges out there in terms of reliably functioning and shooting birds. This shotgun cost all of $280 brand new.

After you have been in the sport for awhile and know what you are doing THEN load up on equipment and buy a high dollar shotgun if you want. I have nothing against higher cost shotguns -- in fact I would sort of like to obtain a Remington SP-10 semiautomatic 10 guage shotgun, but paying college tuition for my kids makes that only a fond dream at this point -- but just think you don't need to burden yourself with a high capital investment to get started.

Think about driving out to Denver to take Colorado Luckydog up on his offer!

mconwa951 11-18-2009 07:49 PM

I tried goose hunting for the first time this year and went with a local guide to see what it was like and I love it but had no idea everything that went into it it all of the equipment is unbelvable. If you are looking for a guide come over to the Mpls st paul metro and call adam at First Flight Finishers he was a great guide and we had a blast

shottyhunter24 11-21-2009 06:43 AM

your 12 gauge will do fine
i use the same waterfowl gear as i do goose hunting on and off water
for decoys=very expensive
calls i got a deal i got a duck call with a canada call for 20 bucks
the populations i live in minnesota and we have a huge population of big canada's so im guessing the population is probably good too