HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   How's My Spread? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/308982-hows-my-spread.html)

jakedowner 11-04-2009 07:02 AM

How's My Spread?

1 Attachment(s)
This is my duck hunting spread, we have been getting a few loners every night but the ducks dont hit it hard till right at dark... which is like 45 minutes after shooting hours. There is a mojo stick right under the tree in the middle that is closer to the ducks than it looks like we just didnt have it set up until then... Please give me your input on what you guys think of it

brasmunky 11-04-2009 06:50 PM

are you standing in the blind? if your Mojo is more that about 45 yards away its too far.

cjwink 11-05-2009 01:09 PM

I would put my dekes in a more U shaped pattern and away from the blind on othe other side of the hole.. Ducks will land into the wind and will tend not to fly over ducks on water so that any ducks that leave will others are landing won't collide.. You should put your dekes where you don't want the ducks to land and so that as the ducks land into the wind and into the U shaped opening you have a good shot..

deer slayer Jr. 11-05-2009 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by cjwink (Post 3496490)
I would put my dekes in a more U shaped pattern and away from the blind on othe other side of the hole.. Ducks will land into the wind and will tend not to fly over ducks on water so that any ducks that leave will others are landing won't collide.. You should put your dekes where you don't want the ducks to land and so that as the ducks land into the wind and into the U shaped opening you have a good shot..

I agree with most everything said here other than youll want to have the U open away from you and have your Mojo set up in one of the 'arms' of the set. also set up your blind off set lined up with one of the arms so when the ducks come in they are not looking right at you. also wind at your back

jakedowner 11-05-2009 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by brasmunky (Post 3495728)
are you standing in the blind? if your Mojo is more that about 45 yards away its too far.

No im downstream, we're off to the left of the picture about 8-10 yards from the mojo.

bearklr 11-09-2009 06:55 AM

Just my .02 cents but I agree with more of a J shape to let an opening and not have the ducks fly directly over the dekes. I'd then put my mojo on the end to make it look like a duck landing on the outside. Here's sort of what I mean but it's tough with the pic. An arial photo would have been easier. The green dot is the mojo and I'm guessing the blue dot is where your blind is.

jakedowner 11-11-2009 12:09 PM

yeah that's our blind. we've found a small pond a few hundred yards from it and ducks have been hitting it pretty hard

Colorado Luckydog 11-11-2009 06:19 PM

If the ducks aren't hitting it until after dark, I'd head for a food source. Your decoys can be laid out perfect but if the ducks are feeding in a field, what good is it?? Take your robo and a few full bodies and head to the nearest cut corn field, or try your set up where you are, in the morning hours.

jakedowner 11-11-2009 07:29 PM

ya it seems to be better in the morning but i think i might try my corn fields that my family owns. maybe get a few geese also