HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Bow Hunting Geese In City Limits (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/308130-bow-hunting-geese-city-limits.html)

BurdBuster 10-27-2009 05:41 PM

Bow Hunting Geese In City Limits

Ok the point of this post is NOT for the ethical discussion of what I'm about to post. It's all theoretical and I doubt it would be legal. So here it goes:

I have been told by some very avid bow hunters that in Minnesota it is LEGAL to hunt within city limits if you have a minimum of 5 acres (with no roads/buildings etc...). Now I can't find citable info on this and I wouldn't know because I'm from a very small town in the sticks where I don't have to worry about it.

So...in the town I am currently living in there is a sugar beat plant within city limits that has more than 5 acres and is chalked full of geese (thousands. I can sit with my nocs and count bands all night long).

SOO the debate my hunting buddies and I have had is whether or not it would be legal to shoot these geese with a bow (assuming we had the plant's permission).

Anyone able to contribute any information/experience/links to this?

Best,

BurdBuster

motodude9 10-28-2009 06:12 AM

Not too sure about the bow hunting but have you considered looking into air rifles? I know a couple of guys who go around to golf courses and bag geese with them but, they are not in the city limits, just an idea.

ksfowler 10-28-2009 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by motodude9 (Post 3486816)
Not too sure about the bow hunting but have you considered looking into air rifles? I know a couple of guys who go around to golf courses and bag geese with them but, they are not in the city limits, just an idea.

That is not really legal. They must be taken with a shotgun over this size of a 410 I believe.

buckclub 10-28-2009 09:57 AM

I would contact the city and local ECO to make sure... then go band busting

BigJohnny 10-28-2009 02:16 PM

I can't speak for Minnesota, but I know where I live in Ohio (and it's not rural, it's very suburban) it is legal to bow hunt if you have at least 4 acres but, you do need to pay a fee and register with the city. So there is probably some truth to that, but I honestly don't know who you would need to talk to.

macman99 10-29-2009 05:04 AM

Talk with your local CO. I didn't find reference to a bow being illegal under federal law, though "rifle" is specifically mentioned, so "air rifle" would likely be, too.

You can find out what's legal under fedeal law at 50 CFR part 20.

BurdBuster 11-01-2009 08:49 AM

I spoke with the game wardens/local PD for the two towns that I am close to. Bow hunting geese in town wouldn't work for a number of reasons.

In one town, it is illegal to shoot a bow/arrow within the city limits. In this town you can't even transport a firearm if its not encased and locked up (which differs considerably from state laws).

In the other town you cannot "shoot a harmless bird within city limits"...which would include geese.

So there will be no shooting your limit of banded geese around here.