Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Trouble w/ duck ID

Old 09-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trouble w/ duck ID

The places Ive hunted ducks, in the past,I have never seen any other species than greenheads, woodys and hoodys but the place Im hunting this year has tons of ducks, of many different species. Im haveing trouble IDing a particular little duck, that I think is a pintail hen, since it has similar markings to the picture in the DU gallery, speckled brown w/ green markings on wings and dark bill. The thing is, DU describes the PT hen as being around 21" in length, but these ducks look like there no more than 15" and dont have a pin shaped tail.I had them swimming 10yds from me today, and they were about half the size of a mallard hen. I also thought I might have IDed some PT drakes flying nearby too, but again they were much bigger in size than these little ducks. Any idea what these are?
Old 09-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

They could be hen Pintails. The hens don't have the pin feather like the drakes. Could possibly be hen Widgeons. These two ducks are medium sized ones. They are not half the size of Mallard hens though. They are a little larger than half the size. Are you sure they aren't Green wing Teal? Probably one of these three. Take a picture of them and I'll tell you for sure. If the neck is long and slender, than it's a Pintail. Are they making any sounds? There should be drakes with them.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:12 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Agree with what is written above

picture sure would help

JW
Old 09-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry I didnt have my camera w/ me, I dont like to bring anything that might drop in the water.

I was thinking they were teal, due to the size, but I didnt think there were any in NY, and I havent seen anything that looks like a GW teal drake. Even if there are some where Im hunting, there not included in the NY bag limit, so to av,oid an illegal kill, mabye Ill just stick to woodys, mallards and blackducks.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

sounds like a widgeon
Old 09-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why would you think Teal are not included in the bag limit? Trust me, if you see Teal, you can shoot them. I've never heard of a state that prohibits the taking of Teal. I looked at the waterfowl regulations in New York, and nowhere did it say Teal are prohibited.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Spike

could be green wing teals they are very tiny and very fast also
Old 09-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by superstrutter
Why would you think Teal are not included in the bag limit? Trust me, if you see Teal, you can shoot them. I've never heard of a state that prohibits the taking of Teal. I looked at the waterfowl regulations in New York, and nowhere did it say Teal are prohibited.
I dont have the09 regs booklet in front of me but I know the bag limit does not mention teal.

Edit- heres the link to the NY bag limits pg 3 on the right.http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_...egsguide09.pdf

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 09-25-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

It won't list ducks with no restrictions. If a duck is not specifically listed, you may kill the limit on that type of duck. I don't know what the daily limit is there, but down here and most of the country it's six. You can kill 6 of these species ( Gadwall, Shoveler, Widgeon, Ring necked, and all three Teal species). If you see Teal, blast them. To me, they are the tastiest of all ducks.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

new york alows teal in the daily bag limit of 6 and it sounds like a hen green wing teal cause where i hunt in new york i seem them often in small openings along with woodys and the usal waterfowl birds
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28888.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.