HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Duck,Walmarts,Back tags,Land (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/298552-duck-walmarts-back-tags-land.html)

WinchesterVSBrowning 07-22-2009 01:33 PM

Duck,Walmarts,Back tags,Land

I have a few questions and was wondering if anyone could answer them. First off I have never been waterfowl hunting and plan on going and was wondering what is up with the tags on the ducks legs that you are supposed to call in? And did I understand correctly when I heard you get money for calling them in? I'm looking for a new shotgun and was thinking about going to walmarts to buy or at lease see what they have, has anyone gotten any guns from walmarts? I just recently got a ruger 10/22 from dicks and I felt awkward and felt like I was there for awhile where as when I got to my local gun store its faster friendlier, and doesn't feel like a burden. About 3-4 years ago I went and took the 2 day hunting class and now I cant find the card that I got when I pasted the class, do I need that to buy back tags? I bought back tags awhile ago like 2 years ago and I forgot if I needed to show them the little card. And finally does anyone know a place in upstate NY where you can go deer and waterfowl hunting for a moderate price.

fowlplayaz 07-22-2009 06:29 PM

Hold on there skippy!
First Off.. Dont ever buy guns from walmart! Everything valuable that walmart carries is more often then not made cheaper to meet walmarts demands for pricing! And if you have not yet purchased a hunting licsence your gonna need that safty course card! You can go online and get anouther card from you state game commission! IF your going to be getting your shotgun for waterfowl, then i would suggest getting a Remingtion 870 express Magnum! It will chamber 2 3/4 and 3 in. shells which is what you want for ducks and it wont cost you an arm and a leg! But just because the gun isnt expensive, dont think it lack quality! It is the perfect all around shotgun for a begginner! 12 gauge by the way! When you buy a new hunting licsence you should get all your regular tags! each state is differant but you will also have to go to the post office and get a Federal Duck Stamp for 15.00!
Hunting without it is a federal offense so make sure you get that!
IN Pennsylvania you need a migratory game bird licsence also! But i know New York is differant as far as regulations go! So check out the game commissions website and research there!

WinchesterVSBrowning 07-23-2009 09:29 AM

So your saying that mossberg and remington for instance sells walmarts lower quality guns then they would to my local gun store?

fowlplayaz 07-23-2009 09:45 AM

Thats what i am saying! Walmart sets a price they want to pay and then the manufactor makes it at that cost! They cut ever corner to get it to walmarts price! The gun will be safe and will shoot, but it wont be the same quality as a normal gunshops would be!:fighting0007:

marlin30/30_drabe 07-23-2009 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by fowlplayaz (Post 3390400)
Hold on there skippy!
First Off.. Dont ever buy guns from walmart! Everything valuable that walmart carries is more often then not made cheaper to meet walmarts demands for pricing! And if you have not yet purchased a hunting licsence your gonna need that safty course card! You can go online and get anouther card from you state game commission! IF your going to be getting your shotgun for waterfowl, then i would suggest getting a Remingtion 870 express Magnum! It will chamber 2 3/4 and 3 in. shells which is what you want for ducks and it wont cost you an arm and a leg! But just because the gun isnt expensive, dont think it lack quality! It is the perfect all around shotgun for a begginner! 12 gauge by the way! When you buy a new hunting licsence you should get all your regular tags! each state is differant but you will also have to go to the post office and get a Federal Duck Stamp for 15.00!
Hunting without it is a federal offense so make sure you get that!
IN Pennsylvania you need a migratory game bird licsence also! But i know New York is differant as far as regulations go! So check out the game commissions website and research there!

in new york you need yoyr duck stamp and a small game license or regular license and an hip which is a harvest report

JW 07-23-2009 11:13 AM

Lost hunter education card what to do?

Conctact your Dept of Nat Resources - since it was 2 yrs ago they willl have your record.

It helps to remember who the instructor was and the date of the class and where you took the class.

A replacement card shoud be sent

JW

WinchesterVSBrowning 07-23-2009 12:45 PM

To many guys have said they have gotten their guns at walmarts and they are fine. Consider the liabilty of the manufacturer, they are not going to produce lesser quality arms for a distributor. And may I ask how do you know they sell the lesser quality arms.

fowlplayaz 07-23-2009 02:20 PM

ok listen,
Back when i started working over 12 years ago i worked for a manager named lyoid Rabuck who later became a big wig for wal-mart and when i ran into him again at a local Fair we talked for awhile and i asked him if he could get me a discount on guns at wal-mart! He said why would you want a gun from there, He said it will never hold up for you! I asked him why and he then told me (Walmart is a superpower in the industry and they set the price and the other company complies or they just wont carry that product) That being said all walmarts guns,Tv's,stereos,cameras and everything else is made to a cheaper quality! Its not that the gun isnt going to work or even break right away! Its just that it WILL NOT HOLD UP AS LONG AS:fighting0007: FROM A NORMAL DEALER!
Walmart got a bad wrap in my area for this and none of them sell guns around here anymore! But do what you will my Friend, But dont say i didnt warn you!

5.9cummins 07-24-2009 03:01 AM

I second fowlplayaz remarks. I have inside knowledge of there workings and products they carry have a lot more problems than stuff carried by "local" businesses. Do your self a favor and find a local gun smith / shop and do your business with them you will be much happier with the expeirence. Plus you have some one who knows what they are doing and if a problem should arise you can go back to them for help.

As for places to hunt deer there is alot of good state land that gets overlooked. Do some research and find some place without the crowds or even if it is crowded all you have to do is start walking get as far away from the pumpkin patch as possible. Ive been shot at twice on state land thats why i wont set foot on any during firearms season (with the exeption of the adirondacks).

As for Waterfowl there are some good spots but again your going to need to do some research.

Sorry i dont make it a habit of giveing up my spots.

fowlplayaz 08-04-2009 10:59 AM

I hope you looked into what i said in earlier posts and got yourself a good gun at a Gunshop! You can thank me later!:rock: