Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Layout blind for tall people >

Layout blind for tall people

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Layout blind for tall people

Old 06-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Layout blind for tall people

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a layout blind. Problem is, i'm a rather robust individual, standing at 6'10" tall. I have lost about 94 pounds in the last yaer, but unfortunately, haven't shrunk at all. anyone know of any layouts that are a little longer than the standard ones at about 85" long. any help is appreciated. also, I know some have zippers on the end for either dog access or cleanouts, any of these better than others?

Yoop
Old 06-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Layout blind for tall people

I have four Final Approach blinds and have been very happy. However, I'm 6' 1" and I can't see you fitting in one. My buddy is about 6' 4" and he fit but barely. You are going to have to pick a blind and modify it. I think one withouta metal frameto the feet would work the best. Something with just material that you can cut and add on to. Even if you just cut it and let your feet hang out. You could wear camo boots and put a decoy or two by your feet. I'd be very interested in what you decide.

I
Old 06-17-2009, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks CO. I hunted with a friends final approach last yaer, and after two days in that thing I damn near needed a bilateral hip replacement. I was SORE from keeping my legs in a frog-like position. I was pondering my options last night and also thought about modifying one. I wear a size 17 shoe/boot, so what I think I am going to do is get one and like you said, modify the end of it with some more material or just leave the zipper open and have my skis hang out the end. Perhaps I could wear some goose fuzzy slippers instead of boots! Cabelas has one on super sale right now, may just have to order it and do some minor mods to it. I had never field hunted until last year, and it is addicting. Where I come from, its all over water, but here in flatlandia, fields are where the birds are.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

So I decided to go with a Cabelas Elite layout. They are 86" long when deployed, whihc is pretty big. They are also 37" wide. So, we'll see. There were several reviews from people of similar stature to me that had very good things to say about it. It does have the zippered foot area should I need to add some material. It'll be here on Monday, so we'll see then what it looks like and I'll report back.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Banned

hey there boy, you should check out the avery migrator blind! new for this year it is specifically made for larger hunters! i am 6'1 350lbs and its big on me! check out the specs. it may be just what your looking for! Good luck! and good hunting!
Old 06-20-2009, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm glad you found something with good reviews. Don't forget to mud her up real good! Let us know how you fit.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

So my blind came in, and its huge! Really nice setup, no need to modify at all actually. I was gone all weekend salmon fishing, and I came home yesterday and my wife had it all set up in the living room, so I can't comment on the ease of setup, but she said it was no problem at all. I watched TV in it for a little bit, and it really is comfortable. I'm quite happy with my selection!
Old 06-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take it outside and practice getting into ahooting position

I take mine out and have a freind throw clay targets for me
So I can practice shooting out of my blind

John
Old 06-23-2009, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good call on the clay targets, just may have to do that this weekend. The first time I ever laydown hunted was last year, and my shooting was definetely less than stellar. Between being crammed like a sardine into a Power Hunter and my abs being WAY out of shape, I needed all the help I could get from the other guys around me! Not sure how much fun it will be to shoot when its 95 degrees, but we'll give it a whirl!