HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   newbie to hunting here has some questions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/291896-newbie-hunting-here-has-some-questions.html)

oubowtie06 04-14-2009 04:49 AM

newbie to hunting here has some questions

i am very interested in starting to hunt birds i enjoy always staying on my toes waiting for a bird to just randomly appear and i love the excitement. I want to start hunting birds but i dont know where to start do i need a license do i need to take any classes does anyone have any useful information to point me into the right direction to start having fun?

mulvany 04-15-2009 07:19 PM

RE: newbie to hunting here has some questions

First, you need to go to Cabelas and buy as many decoys as you can, the most expensive duck and goose calls, and the highest priced waders.

No, I'm just kidding. :D

You need to find out what kind of hunting you want to do exactly? Ducks, Geese, Crows, etc. What type were you looking for? Once you get this figured out, then check your state regulations on licensing and regulations. I'm sure there are some guys on here from the state your in, or could point you in the right direction.

You need to figure out where you'll hunt? Are the public hunting properties, landowners, do you own the hunting ground? Once you get this, then you need to figure out what you need for the type of hunting you'll be doing on their land. Does the landowner want paid? do the public properties need specific licenses, fees, applications?

Who are some people you are going to go hunting with? Do they have hunting gear such as decoys, waders, calls, gizmos, gadgets, experience? What is it going to take to get these things if you need to get them? What kind of hunting gear do you need for the places you'll be hunting? Are you just going to pass shoot at the birds as they fly by or try to decoy them in?

Are there any clubs you can join in your area? Are there any hunters of these types of birds in your area? If so, get with them or join the clubs. This way you can discuss it one on one with them, and they may even take you hunting and show you how to do all the work before, during and after the hunts and in the off season to prepare.

I know there are a lot of questions, and I'm not expecting you to answer them on here. A lot of them are questions you'll need to work out over the next few days/weeks/months as you prepare for the hunting seasons you choose. When you figure out the species you want to hunt or have any questions about this stuff, ask on here. We'll be glad to help you out. Also, you can shoot me a private message (pm) if you feel it may be a "dumb question." I'll be glad to assist you in any way I can! It's great to help out others as they come along. I've been there too.

Welcome to Waterfowl!