Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 need help on new waterfowl gun >

need help on new waterfowl gun

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

need help on new waterfowl gun

Old 03-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Spike

Default need help on new waterfowl gun

hi guys ive been looking for a new 3 1/2 semi auto shotgun that will cycle all loads and not wanting to go over 800 dollars i almost ordered a supermag waterfowl edition today glad i didnt after reading some of the feed back on here and i already have a 935 any help will be appreciated thanx
Old 03-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: need help on new waterfowl gun

Browning Gold or a Winchester Super X3. Practically the same gun. Both are soft shooting, easy to clean, and very reliable. You should be able to get the Gold for under $800 fairly easily, but you may have to shop around for the X3.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Spike

thanx for the reply i will have to look into the browning i havent heard much about it but the all the x3s ive seen are well over 800 more like a grand and over thanx again
Old 03-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

No problem, as mentioned before they really are practically the same gun. They share the same gas system, but there will be slight variations in stock design, and niceties.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Spike

i went to browings website and the only browning gold guns they had on there were 10ga guns the website really wasnt much help
Old 03-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Browning is no longer making the Gold. Instead they are focusing on the Silver, and the X3 (Winchester).
Here are the major differences:
The 12 gauge Silver does not have the speed load feature or a magazine cutoff switch. Most of the Golds have a magazine cutoff switch but, not all of them. While the Silver, and SX3 models don't have a cutoff switch they all can cut off the rounds in the magazine by pushing up slightly on the carrier while pulling back on the bolt. This blocks the rounds in the magazine, ejects the chambered round, and locks the bolt back/open. The Silvers don't come with shims for their stocks but can use the Gold Clacssic/FLD's.
Also the Gold will be slightly thinner in the forearm than the Silver, but the X3 will be even slimmer.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:44 AM

Question...why 3.5 inch...probably dont really need that...3 is usually almot alwaysplenty good...Brownings have always been a good guns....
perhaps shop for a "slightly used" gun rather than new...??
Stoger 2000, bought one for my daughter its been fine gun and economical...no problems for us...generic Beneli, have heard everyone I know thats had a X3 except one got rid of it....various reasons sited....

Baretta Extrema is softest 3.5,about as good as it gets, SBE are ok, lighter, but more recoil felt....both are expensive new, but maybe used for a little over your 800.00 especially maybe a Extrema I vs. II.....
For used guns and leads....
Check www.gunsamerica.com
Old 04-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ill admit I do not hunt WF near as much as Id like to, and no where near as much as most of you. My gun sees about 5-10 duck hunts a year, that said, I love my SX3, its a sexy and very durable gun , very manageable when shooting 3.5 #1 loads, love the duratouch stock and I think its got some kind of teflon finish. I paid about 1000 for it 2 years ago but Ive seen them for less now. Funny though it shoots light 7/8 oz target loads and 3.5 " loads w/ out a hicup but doesnt seem to like anything in between.