Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Moved to Northern Virginia, would like to begin waterfowl hunting. >

Moved to Northern Virginia, would like to begin waterfowl hunting.

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Moved to Northern Virginia, would like to begin waterfowl hunting.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Moved to Northern Virginia, would like to begin waterfowl hunting.

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

No need to name call here, we are all a pretty good group of guys. Don't get all bent out of shape. You have obviously taken this entirely the wrong way. I might be from a VA family, but to call me a part of the 'old guard' is way off... the old guard are the people hunting by king's grant rights and the big riparian owners. I am neither one. I got my blinds and my spots by hitting the rivers and lakes and keeping my nose in the wind and my eyes on the sky. Thats what you are going to have to do, because nobody is going to give you much of anything when it comes to duck hunting in this state. Not if they have any common sense anyway.

I don't troll the internet trying to disuade other hunters. Come down off that holier than thou thought and think rationally here.

Infact, I was going to PM you and invite you along to one of my blinds during the early goose season simply as an act of good sportsmanship... because I've been there before. But you know what... forget it bro. Good luck to you... with an attitude like yours, I think you'll fit right in up in Northern Virginia.
Thats a good laugh. I am sure you were just about to invite me hunting after telling me about the secret spots you have that you wouldn't ever share, complaining about panhandling, telling me I'm better off going to a different Country, insulting my reading comprehension, etc. NowI really wish I hadn't returned your rudeness.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:22 AM
Spike

Stonewall,

I too live in Alexandria -- did you ever find a waterfowl cub?

-Steve
Old 02-26-2019, 08:55 AM
Spike

Hi- I came across your post from 2009 and thought I'd reach out as I'm trying to find my way into the sport. Any recommendations you have are much appreciated. I can see from this thread you didn't have the warmest welcome and being from the Fairfax County area myself, I'm hopeful you'll offer me a different response than you received here.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

I am not up on VA waterfowl regs. I do know Maryland though. The Potomac river is open but you have to carry a Maryland license and Maryland resident. Some strange old law. You can hunt from shore on public or private hunting land alone, but not in a boat unless you have a MD resident. Tidal is on the blind site system and a huge PITA. Upper is floating blind, but you need a resident.

Knock on doors and find permissions and find someone to teach you. Can't help on the "teach you" guy. But they will show up when you got a place to hunt and need help killing birds.

Figure finding a pond with geese all over it is a don't both knocking spot normally. Try and hunt near it or where they fly from it. The land owner may love them and the neighbor can't stand them any more.

Hiding your blinds if the most important part, Having the right spot, then flagging and then calling. IMO, sometimes not calling is better than what some people do. Good callers can push geese off from cadences instead of reading them and responding to them.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check your PM