HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Waiting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/283605-waiting.html)

mulvany 01-21-2009 06:10 AM

Waiting

This season I have been plagued with hunting partners that shoot the first duck locked up...for example: We were field hunting and had a group of 50 birds locked up and coming in when my partner shot the lead duck which was about 30 yards in front of the flock of 50 behind it, causing all the group to barrel out of there past shooting range. (He didn't wait for the pit boss' call)
My other buds have been doing this too. I was sick of it so Saturday I went alone to take out some honkers. I had 300 locked up coming in. About a 1/4 of the group were 20 yards out and about 10 yards high, definitely shooting range, but I wanted a chance for a double (obviously), so I waited for them to fall in a little closer with the rest of the group following them so I would have a better chance for a second shot. They started looping and circled out and landed about 100 yards behind me.
Question is: What would you have done? Would you have waited or taken the first shot at the first Canada? I still support my decision, though it cost me.

Bowman4440 01-21-2009 07:30 AM

RE: Waiting

if just a single canadian came in id wait but if a small group came in id dump them. Its all in the situation and trying to read the birds.

birddog3412 01-21-2009 01:20 PM

Have you tried putting shock collars on your buddies, then zap em good if they out of the blind early. hahaha

Colorado Luckydog 01-21-2009 06:13 PM

I like waiting until there landing gear is down. A lot of the time we will let little groups land to suck the bigger groups in. How many dekes did you have out? Are you creating a landing zone for them to land in. We always leave a spot for them to land in front and behind us. We fill in on both ends so no one is shooting over anyones heads. If you have a landing zone they should come to the call and land where you want them. Sometimes they are just gonna do what you don't want them to. I think you did the right thing waiting. I'd rather shoot one goose landing in my dekes than a limit of undecoyed geese.

mulvany 01-21-2009 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

I like waiting until there landing gear is down. A lot of the time we will let little groups land to suck the bigger groups in. How many dekes did you have out? Are you creating a landing zone for them to land in. We always leave a spot for them to land in front and behind us. We fill in on both ends so no one is shooting over anyones heads. If you have a landing zone they should come to the call and land where you want them. Sometimes they are just gonna do what you don't want them to. I think you did the right thing waiting. I'd rather shoot one goose landing in my dekes than a limit of undecoyed geese.

That's the thing, I only had a dozen GHG shells out! I was laying with just a blanket of corn on top of me. I was shocked to have anything come in, but the way they were flying I thought they were going to land in on me...which is why I waited. I did have a landing zone (they were in a "V" shape with me at the point). I had just ran out there really quick and didn't have my blind or the rest of my decoys because I just wanted to go out. I like waiting and getting them to touch down too, maybe it's my curse.

Colorado Luckydog 01-21-2009 07:23 PM

Waiting until you have feet in your face is not a curse....it's waterfowling in it's purest form. If I was broke and needed the food for my family, it would be a whole different ball game! You need to tell the yahoo's that are shooting before the shot is called to wait for the pit boss to call the shot. I've learned in the past to ALWAYS designate a pit boss. It doesn't take long to learn when you hear things like " I thought you were going to call it". LMAO We take turns at being the pit boss, but whoever is designated is the only one to call the shot. You have to have someone in charge if for no other reason than safety. Good luck the rest of the season!!